The pillowcase bath
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  12:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I've posted these pics on another thread a while back, but I keep seeing questions about helping a snake to shed and using the damp pillowcase method, so ...here is what I do.

I'm afraid that my 'model' isn't a royal python, but my ghost corn, Spooky, and that the pillowcase in the pics isn't actually damp as she wasn't in need of shedding help, but, in essence, here is the pillowcase bath -

Take one snake in need of shedding help, one pillowcase, and a ventilated rub with a lid -

Damp the pillowcase. Just scrunch it up, give it a quick drench under the tap, cold water's fine as you're going to wring it out well and it will soon have reached room temperature. Give it a good wring; it doesn't want to be sopping, and put the snake in.

Then tie the top securely, and place in the rub.

Put the lid on the rub and place it in a warm room if the weather's cold, for 20 minutes. I like to stay close at hand. Now the snake will squirm about in the pillowcase, and the friction of the damp material, plus humidity, will help off those awkwardly stuck bits of shed.

I find that royal shed is a lot tougher than that of colubrids' and that a royal may need another go. But eventually, here we are - hopefully a shiny snake and a pillowcase full of skinny bits ...

Also at this stage, you can let the snake slither through your hands while still in the pillowcase, to apply a little gentle pressure to any remaining bits of skin.

The last time I used the pilllowcase bath, it was for Shadrach, my pine snake, who had just begun to get his shed off. After a while it was clear that he wasn't very happy. All that work, and only one ragged shred coming off his neck. I set up the pillowcase and rub, put him in, waited, and ...20 minutes later, a large mess and a small snake happily emerging from a nice damp skin. Worth laundering the pillowcase for!

With thanks to Spooky for her assistance.

Edited by - n/a on 23/02/2012 12:52:46

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  13:39:10  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Great thread Bats but i have one question, when u say: "tie the top securely" is there any chance that the snake will chock to death ? i mean it's hard to breath in there with top tied securely !!

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  14:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Tawfik - no, there will be enough air in the pillowcase - air will pass through the material despite its being damp, as long as the rub is ventilated. It's similar to those bags people use for transporting snakes. And I like to knot the top securely as otherwise the snake will get out, and it has to stay in the pillowcase for the damp material to do its job.

Go to Top of Page

jbarlow91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
897 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  17:08:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good thread BATS. Bet spooky was wondering what was happing lol "what's she doing to me I aint in shed, and the pillow case aint even damp" lol

0.1.0 snow corn Ruby 1.0.0 ghost corn-Oreo
1.0.0 bearded dragon- kato
0.1.0 bearded dragon- keita
1.0.0 cali king-Taz
0.1.0 royal-Clio
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal- Moose
0.1.0 hognose jinxx
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  19:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks J - Lol - Spooky is one of those 'golden labrador' snakes; like Saffy and Shadrach, she loves attention and loves to pose. I explained to her beforehand what I wanted and she followed directions like a snakey supermodel ...just had to promise her a platinum plated mouse come next feeding day lol!

Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  19:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great thread BATS great name and snake
Go to Top of Page

jbarlow91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
897 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  19:18:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My baby snake is like a dog lol when I put her on floor to play no matter who is in the room she always comes back to me

0.1.0 snow corn Ruby 1.0.0 ghost corn-Oreo
1.0.0 bearded dragon- kato
0.1.0 bearded dragon- keita
1.0.0 cali king-Taz
0.1.0 royal-Clio
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal- Moose
0.1.0 hognose jinxx
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  20:27:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Pythonwizard - this might sound strange but when she arrived, she 'said', as she sashayed up on to her climbing branch - 'I am Salome Spooks. I am a girl.' So since I didn't know for sure if she was a girl, I called her Spooky. But she has been probed since, and she is a girl!

Lol, J, they do - some people think snakes don't relate to you, but I'm convinced they do; have had countless examples of this since the first corn hatchlings arrived. Snakes are people!

Go to Top of Page

mort13
Yearling

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  14:14:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brill thread! Would be good to have on the other forums too.

Oh,and well done Spooky for her demonstrating skills.

1.0.0 Royal Python, 0.1.0 Western Hognose, 4.3.0 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 1.1.0 True Olive House Snakes
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake, 1.0.0 California Kingsnake
0.0.2 Occelated skinks, 1.0.0 Leopard gecko, 0.0.1 Cranwell's Horned frog,
0.1.0 Congo Green mantis, 0.0.1 H.Spinifer, 0.1.0 G.Rosea (RCF)

0.1.0 normal c0ckatiel

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  15:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mort - yes, couldn't have done it without Spooky lol, she performed perfectly.

Go to Top of Page

Scottydog
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  15:16:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This could come in useful, My two having just been re-housed have just gone into shed. Hope I wont have to use this but great thread.

1.0.0 Royal Python - Jake
0.1.0 Boa Constrictor (BCI) - Madonna
0.0.1 Snow Corn - Ice
1.0.0 Anery Corn - Ash
0.1.0 Normal Corn - Fire
1.0.0 Spider Royal - Diablo
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  16:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Jake - yes, hope you won't have to use the pillowcase - good luck with their sheds!

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  10:56:28  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BurnedAtTheStake

Thanks, Tawfik - no, there will be enough air in the pillowcase - air will pass through the material despite its being damp, as long as the rub is ventilated. It's similar to those bags people use for transporting snakes. And I like to knot the top securely as otherwise the snake will get out, and it has to stay in the pillowcase for the damp material to do its job.

Great, hope i won't have to use it with Blitz

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  12:34:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol - I hope so too, but they seem to take it pretty calmly - I think it comes as a relief, and it's nice and dim in the pillowcase, not too stressful.

Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  16:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kane doesn't take anything calmly when he's in shed, i dread having to do stuff like this...

1.1.0 Normal Royal Pythons... Kane (CF11) + Frankie (CB11)
1.0.0 Spider Royal Python (CB13)
1.0.0 100% het kahl albino boa Dexter (CB13)
1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
0.1.0 Red Harlequin Crested Gecko... Charlie
0.1.0 Albino Leopard Gecko... Cleo
1.1.0 African Green Mantis
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie
1.1.0 Cats... Ebony and DK

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  17:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope you don't have to do it for him, but you never know, he might surprise you. Once you've got the snake in the pillowcase (which is quite easy as you just guide them in and craftily shuffle them to the bottom) and tied the top, he's powerless, and the more he wriggles and thumps about in the rub, the better it's going to work.

I once took the terrible Ziska upstairs for a photoshoot and, because she was carrying on alarming as usual, put her in a pillowcase to carry her back downstairs - much easier than arguing with what feels like 5' of animated hosepipe.

She liked it. Maybe it calmed her down, like putting your hand over a hen's eyes when you're carrying it, or putting a cloth over a canary's cage, but I spent the next hour or so with her curled up asleep on my lap in her new designer sleeping bag.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000