Advice on carpet python handling please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2012 :  22:53:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all not posted on here for a while due to mrs toggsy being diagnosed with cancer and me having to care for her.
Not a novice when it comes to handling snakes and I currently have cb 10 female normal royal and cb08 male anery corn I've recently purchased a carpet python approx 2 years old and a male we think as its not been probed and a approx 4 feet in length from preloved.
When we collected him, the previous owner took him out no problems and both myself and mrs toggsy handled him and he seemed very settled and calm.
Since we've got him back we've noticed he's very jumpy and worried about him striking out at us
I've purchased a snake hook as a precaution and I've been using the hook to manoeuvre him around and handle him by keeping the biting end away from me.
Read on the net about using a glove so if he does strike he won't like the taste.
Does the 2 week rule about allowing them settle to apply for sub adults ?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Toggsy

I have posted this on the darkside but yet have any replys

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2012 :  01:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no experiance with carpets but a stunning snake you have there.
first thing yes leave a week or 2 to settle just water changes etc.
put a cloth/sock in your pocket for a few hours an put it in the viv to help them get used to your scent(might want to change the sock/cloth every few days.
see if she/he calms a bit and take it slowley from there
all the best with him/her

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

reptilemadd
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2012 :  09:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi great looking snake you've got there, I've never tried the sock/clothing thing myself but have heard good reports from others that have used it, I'm guessing since the last owner handled no problem that it is usually a calm snake so it could just be that it's not used to you yet, I've found in the past that offering your hand in a non threatening way (palm facing up) and move slowly towards the snake allows the snake to get used to you without feeling stressed, good luck

1.0.0 beardie "magic"
1.1.0 100% Het Clown "Cerberus" and "Artemis"
0.1.0 Poss Calico "Ariadne"
1.0.0 Lesser " Kronos"
Go to Top of Page

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2012 :  09:35:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Toggsy,

Firstly i'm sorry to hear of your family issues, I hope all goes well with her recovery.

Carpet Pythons I have no experiance of, but as she was calm and good natured with her previous owner I can only assume its the upheaval of moving causing defensive behaviour now.
I was a little wary of my boa when I first got him, but I drew a deep breath and lifted him out confidently (well ok I pretended to be brave lol)

You could maybe stroke his sides or back, and try the sock method although again I have never tried that myself.

Lovely snake and i'm sure all will be well :)

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

50 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2012 :  12:25:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick update
Took him out today and he was very placid more curious about his surroundings and what was going on around him so he was not the snappy snake I was half expecting but still wary of him but this is out of respect for him rather than fear due to his size and power.
You can tell he's been handled regularly to how docile he is.
Looking into changing his viv currently in a lx48 looking into changing up to a vx48 for the height and width maybe even a 4 x 2 x 2 if I can find a cheap one local.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2012 :  13:06:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Toggsy and very sorry to hear about your wife - all the very best wishes for her recovery.

Congrats on the carpet - beautiful snake! I bought an Irian Jaya about 6 weeks back but she's only a tiddler and not being handled much at all due to the dreaded mites, so I'm very much a beginner where carpets are concerned and can't really add to everyone else's good advice.

But does sound to me like he's just settling in. I do have a snake who's a pain (but I love her) - my gopher, Ziska; she must be about 5' and 18 months and every time I get her out there's fireworks, but she's all breath and britches and I just pick her up regardless if I need to and ignore the striking. She soon settles down and climbs into my sweater for a snooze lol.

All the best!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000