Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sabriyyah
Snake Mite

Qatar
40 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2012 :  18:45:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I cannot buy dead rodents where i live so i buy live ones and then put them in the freezer in a plastic box. I thought long and hard about it and realised that they die of hypothermia (cf people on Everest). when i first did it I fretted for hours but when i went to the freezer for a look they were all huddled together to keep warm and had clearly peacefully gone to sleep. i have tried to breed them myself but find it all a bit time-consuming and messy so just keep on buying. not that it makes any difference as she stopped eating last June! I wonder if she qualifies for a special award?
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2012 :  18:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is absolutely NOT a humane way to kill your rodents (or any animal for that matter) just give them to the snake live and let it do the job quickly for you. The way you do it is an extremely long winded, painful, and cruel way to die and they dont peacefully go to sleep they SLOWLY freeze to death. Please if you only take one thing from this forum please let it be that you dont subject your rodents to torture any more.

Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2012 :  20:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As above :( made me sad reading that
The rats are better off being feed live

Or make a gas chamber and let the rats die in a humane way

I can tell you how to make a gas chamber If you like its not that hard or costs much
Or google rat gas chamber

Poor rats :(

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs

Western Hognose

Edited by - Evolution Morphs on 24/03/2012 20:11:55
Go to Top of Page

JanieW
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2012 :  20:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sabriyyah, while I have no doubt you thought you were doing the right thing, in future please listen to Bob and Del as freezing to death is a horrible way to die.
You used mountain climbers to justify as being humane, but you have to realise that those climbers started out being warm, and then gradually hypothermia and exhaustion took over. That is not the same as being plunged into a freezer alive.

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2012 :  21:23:14  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jesus xD that's a terrible mistake to make!
Yeah in future just let the snake do it, I speak from experience when I say the rodents don't know it's coming, most of the time they'll happily come sniffing at the snake to see whats going on then BAM! All over with. Much nicer than freezing them.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Keg
Yearling

United Kingdom
137 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2012 :  15:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agreed that is horrible.

1.0.0 Zak - Doberman
1.0.0 Cecil - Royal Python
1.0.0 Cyril - Hognose
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2012 :  16:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sabbiyah, yes, it is much better to just feed the live rat to the snake than have the rat freeze to death in the freezer.

But, at the same time, live feeding doesn't just mean throw the live rat into the snake's viv and walk away. So, just to be sure you get information on the proper way to feed live, this is what is usually done:

1.) When you pick up the rat from the store, ask the store owner if he can give you one or two pellets of what the store is feeding the rat. Don't worry if he won't give you one. Rats eat a variety of things, you can give him some carrots or biscuits or bread.
2.) Give the rat water to drink and food to eat before you feed him off. This will lower the risk of your rat attacking the snake.
3.) Get a pair of tongs (or chopsticks or similar). If you use tongs, you can use these to grab the rat by the tail closest to his butt to pick him up (it's probably easier to just use your hands though).
4.) If you have tons of decorations in your viv, it would be safer to move the snake to a feeding box. If you have a sparse viv (like just a couple hides and a water bowl), you can just take out the hide that the snake is not hiding in and then put some rat food on the floor of the viv a few paces away from the snake, put the rat by the food (don't worry if he doesn't take to the rat food, it's just there to give the rat an option).
5.) Watch the process with tongs/stick in hand until the rat strikes the rat and coils. Watch carefully to see if the snake got the rat by the back of the head - sometimes the snake grabs the rat in another spot so it leaves the rat's head free to move giving him the opportunity to sink his teeth into the snake - when you see this happen, use your tong or stick to hold the rat's teeth away from the snake.
6.) When the snake lets go of the dead rat, you can go ahead and walk away.
7.) If the snake doesn't strike the rat in 15 minutes, just go ahead and take the rat out of the viv and enjoy a pet rat for the next 5 days or so until next feed. :)

Easy does it.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly