New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jayde
Yearling

United Kingdom
291 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  12:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just ordered some combined digital thermometers and hygrometers, as I'm currently just using just digital thermometers for the Royals.
My question is, which side should I put the new device measuring humidity, warm or cold? (I will keep the other side with just the thermometer)
I'm not worried about the humidity for my guys as they always shed beautifully, but it's the only thing I'm not keeping accounts on, and will just keep me happy knowing what it is all of the time. (I'm abit of a control freak you see!)

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  12:47:41  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'd keep it on the side nearest the bin for when you finally lose your temper with it lol

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Jayde
Yearling

United Kingdom
291 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  17:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Umm.. Thanks?!!
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  17:35:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haha you put it in the middle about an inch off the substrate and position something to block line of sight to the heat source as any radiant heat will dry the air inside the sensor and give you a low reading, dont have anything blocking the little vent in the sensor though or it will give you too high a reading. As Kelf said they are a nightmare if they aren't positioned just right or something along those lines lol. I've not bothered installing any in my new stack as you do get a feel for humidity over time and then they aren't telling you anything you don't already know and they eat their battery too, about three times as fast as the thermometer on its own.

Go to Top of Page

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  17:50:07  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Exactly what Lotabob says - I have mine dead in the middle on the vivarium, about an inch or so from the substrate. I'll be honest - I used to panic about humidity befroe getting a hygrometer, but since getting it, barely even check it. Most people I've spoke to have said they are a waste of money. General atmospheric humidity is around 50% in a "normal" home. Mine ranges from 50-60% depending on the placement of the water bowl.

EDIT - Placement of the bowl in the vivarium, not the house, obviously. I drink straight from the tap...

www.royal-balls.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/dandavisreptiles

Edited by - Se7enS1ns on 04/03/2012 19:28:08
Go to Top of Page

Jayde
Yearling

United Kingdom
291 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  18:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So if I choose to use them, swap it for my cold end thermometer? as I'd rather keep my eye on hot end temps. But by the sounds of it they could just go straight into the 'snakes box of f stuff'.
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  20:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah keep the hot end temps exclusive and easily checked. Again I know whats what with cold end temperatures so I have almost completely stopped bothering checking cold end temperatures, I know if my house is hot their cold ends will be warmer if my house is cold then their cold end will be cooler.

You have a box of snake stuff too lol, I have a cupboard though I'm thinning it down as they get older and aren't moving from small enclosures to bigger ones. I've got more hides than I know what to do with at the moment, and I now have to buy 2 more, 4 if you include the new snake I got yesterday.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000