New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blondie29
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  14:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do you defrost/warm up your royals food?
iv had Monty over 3 weeks now and so far hasn't fed i called the shop where we got him from and they said they defrosted the rats in how water and made it quite warm before offering and he always fed

i was getting the rat out mid afternoon to defrost and when i went to work at 6pm putting it on the top of the Viv where the heat lamp is to warm up them at 8pm when i get home dipping the nose in hot water and offering he shows intrest but dont take! but i have a hamster and a dog in the same room so im wondering if the different smells are confusing him!!

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  14:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi i put mine in a sandwich bag then in a plastic tub with warm, but not boiling water for about 15 minutes then i use a hair dryer to heat up the head. Apparently doing it in the sandwich bag helps trap in the scent of the food item.

I used to have Kane downstairs with 2 dogs and 2 cats in the house aswell and he still fed.

1.1.0 Normal Royal Pythons... Kane (CF11) + Frankie (CB11)
1.0.0 Spider Royal Python (CB13)
1.0.0 100% het kahl albino boa Dexter (CB13)
1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
0.1.0 Red Harlequin Crested Gecko... Charlie
0.1.0 Albino Leopard Gecko... Cleo
1.1.0 African Green Mantis
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie
1.1.0 Cats... Ebony and DK

Go to Top of Page

markmifsud
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  14:46:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I leave in an open tub at 6pm, then around 8 to 9 pm I run their heads under HOT water for a good 30 seconds, then I offer to the snakes, if they happen to drop it, they rarely go and pick it up again so its another visit to the kitchen to rewarm the head.

1.1.0 Pastal Ball
1.0.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)
0.1.0 Normal Ball aged 7(ish)

Bromley. SE London
Go to Top of Page

blondie29
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  14:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
right ill get it out now to defrost and leave it in the bag in a tub and try that thank you!
Go to Top of Page

boomslang
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
2025 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2012 :  23:09:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just leave them all out in a plastic tub for a few hours,Then when they have defrosted,warm them up with the hair dryer.

1.0.0 pinstripe Royal Python
1.0.0 Bumblebee Royal Python
1.0.0 Normal corn
1.0.0 Extreme red Hognose
0.1.0 Extreme red tiger Hognose
1.1.0 yemen chameleons
1.0.0 Piebald yemen
1.0.0 Tamatave panther
1.0.0 Quadricornis
Go to Top of Page

LittlestarRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  10:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I defrost mine at room temperature or in warm water if I'm in a rush, then a quick dip in hotter water before feeding. Works well for me!

Royals:1.2 Normals 'Hector'(He's my Baby! lol),'Lily' & 'Satan',0.1 Albino 'Alice', 0.2 Bumblebees 'Belle' & 'unnamed', 0.1 Pinstripe 'Stripy', 1.0 Pastel het Albino 'Pasty' 1.0 HG Woma 'Helix' & 0.1 Lesser 'Honey' 1.0 Enchi 'Max',0.1 Pewter Fader 'Pandora' and 1.0 Clown 'Krusty'. Others: 0.1 Corn 'Nagini', 1.0 BRB 'Juju', 1.0 Honduran BCI 'Lucius', 1.1 Beardies 'Beanie and Snuggle' and 1.0 Yemen Chameleon 'Jasper'(a.k.a Hissy Fusspot).
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  10:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i defrost mine in warm water then dry an warm up the head with a hair dryer

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  21:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These snakes aren't daft, they wont get confused by different smells. My way of looking at it is if you cook curry you can smell curry, they can smell each individual ingredient and which direction the smell is coming from.

I dont like putting them in water, mainly because I drop feed and substrate sticks to wet rats. You can put it in a plastic bag and submerge that in water, rat stays dry but heats up.

My feeding technique with a very fussy Royal is to feed him just before I go to bed, I leave the rat to defrost from about 1pm. At about 9pm I move the rat on top of the viv directly above the heat bulb for 2 hours. Then I very quietly put the rat in a small tin dish, sneak it in just to the side of the hide Duke is in, and then I will close the door, dim the room lights down and that usually does the trick, by morning its gone, usually its gone within an hour. This might be the best way to feed for now if its a bit stressed it will be more inclined to eat if it is not disturbed or fussed before hand.

Also while settling in its hands off, no handling except urgent matters, just open the viv for water changes and thats all until you have 3 consecutive feeds into the snake. Its difficult but worth it in the long run.

Go to Top of Page

mort13
Yearling

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  10:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm only a newcomer to royals. I've followd advice from Wilburs breeder and so far its worked. I let his rat dfrost at room temp and then prior to feeding him stick the rats head in hot water for a few seconds and dry its head before feeding. Some snakes don't like wet fur on their prey.

1.0.0 Royal Python, 0.1.0 Western Hognose, 4.3.0 Corn Snakes
1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 1.1.0 True Olive House Snakes
1.0.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake, 1.0.0 California Kingsnake
0.0.2 Occelated skinks, 1.0.0 Leopard gecko, 0.0.1 Cranwell's Horned frog,
0.1.0 Congo Green mantis, 0.0.1 H.Spinifer, 0.1.0 G.Rosea (RCF)

0.1.0 normal c0ckatiel

Go to Top of Page

blondie29
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  22:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks lotabob ill try that i havnt had him out really just a damp pillocase to help his shead he shows intrest but dosnt strike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000