Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

frambo
Yearling

United Kingdom
228 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  19:09:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Quick question here.

Two months ago when I had her on a kitchen towel floor, whenever she wee'd or took a dump it was very obvious, a smell, an increase in humidity and most of all, a visible area to clean.

However now she's on aspen, while I do a full cleanout every month or so, I am never able to find her wee to clean it.

I can tell she's doing it by the smell and occasionally I find bits of faeces and the solid urine (forgot what it's called) hidden in the aspen which I remove but I can't ever seem to find a damp area as the IR light seems to dry it out before I get a chance to clean it.

I'm totally at a loss for what to do, any replies would be much appreciated.

Fram

0.0.3 Koi Carp

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  19:20:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, you have my sympathy - aspen's a great substrate, but unless you discover a mess soon after it's made, liquid wee will dry out and leave a smelly but apparently clean substrate surrounding the mess. (It took me a while to realise this.)

I clean an area at least 3" or more round the solids and urates now, for all my snakes. Better waste a bit of aspen than have the snakes sitting next to any smelly bedding.

Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  20:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
same here its usually dry by the time i see the urates so just scoop up a big area around although its not very often i smell anything unless its the rat or bull snakes that have gone.
i do a full clean/disifect every 4-6 weeks ish

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  00:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know straight away when I open the viv if Duke has been and its no mystery as to where it is either, Its about the same girth as Duke and about 6 inches long. Duke normally goes in one of the hides so as this is usually accompanied with a sub-substrate lake I just clean out that half of the viv. You can usually see in the dust once everything is scooped how far the lake went even if its dried out and its normally not far off the half I clean, my vivs lean forward slightly so it makes it quite predictable as to where the flow goes.

Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  00:52:36  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use course orchid bark and like you i cant find the pee just the poo and urates, but usually its dry and i find that the bark does a good job at keeping the emissions low

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page