New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ajacklin
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2012 :  08:08:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I just wanted to check about thermostat settings, as you can see in my pic (just) the silver bit bottom left a couple of inches above the substrate is my thermostat sensor and thermometer probe. Should the thermostat be set a couple of degrees less than 33c? As the hide being directly under the ceramic will obviously be hotter than where the probe is.
Thanks

2 Corn Snake - Jaffa & Xanthe
1 Normal Royal - Syd
1 Rottweiller - JD
1 Collie X - Annie
2 Cats - Galaxy & Karamel
3 Chickens - Drummer, Noodle Bhuna
Many tropical fish

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2012 :  10:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Possibly, although to tell for certain you'd have to put the stat probe inside the hide.

www.royal-balls.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/dandavisreptiles
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2012 :  10:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you want the thermometer probe under the bulb/hot spot as if its reading 32c with the probe on the wall the hot spot will be higher than 32c

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2012 :  18:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A stat probe does not replace a temp gun or a proper thermometer.

The reading of the stat probe does not matter in a viv. What is normally done (at least in my side of the pond) is have the stat probe set so that the reading of the temp gun is perfect all around the viv. So, I can have my probe stuck right onto the heat mat (I don't use lamps) on the underside of the viv set at 97F to achieve a hot spot of 92F inside the viv. Of course, the stat probe has to be at a place where it is protected from things that can cause a bad reading - for example, it is not set on the floor where the snake can pee on it, sit on top of it, or cover it with a thick pile of substrate. It is not set on the wall where the snake can climb onto and knock it over, and, of course, since it is a wire, you don't want it where the snake can get tangled on it.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose

Edited by - anatess on 17/03/2012 18:22:16
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2012 :  18:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you get away with mats in a vivarium with a heavy bodied snake? Surely your stat probe would have to be on the mat on the floor.

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2012 :  06:23:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

How do you get away with mats in a vivarium with a heavy bodied snake? Surely your stat probe would have to be on the mat on the floor.

I have glass vivs - you know, kinda like those that are used for fish except they're wider and shorter than fish tanks. The heat mat (okay, by heat mat, I mean Flexwatt which is actually referred to as heat tape). The heat tape runs UNDER the viv - not inside the viv. The glass does not bend, so there's no danger of the underside of the viv bending to trap the heat underneath.

Now, I also have RUBs. The same thing - I run the heat tape under the RUB - not inside. BUT, the plastic will bend when an adult royal sits on the heated side (the heat makes it even bend easier), which effectively traps the heat due to insufficient air flow. To prevent this from happening, I put CD jewel cases on each side of the heat tape to prevent the RUB from trapping the heat.

Heat mats should not be put INSIDE a viv. That's the same reason why heat rocks (used for lizards) should not be put in a royal's viv as well.

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal

Edited by - anatess on 18/03/2012 06:24:46
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2012 :  11:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool, I didn't think you would have heat mats in vivs and that maybe terminology here and there may differ slightly.

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2012 :  13:30:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Cool, I didn't think you would have heat mats in vivs and that maybe terminology here and there may differ slightly.

Uhm, yes. Filipino living in Florida trying to decipher UK written English. LOL!

P.S. I forgot to mention - in the glass viv, the heat tape is stuck to the underside of the viv using aluminum tape. The bottom of the glass viv is designed that there is a 1/4 inch space between the bottom of the viv and the floor which is sufficient for air flow.

In the RUB, I have the heat tape stuck to the shelf that the RUB is on. This makes it very easy for me to lift the entire RUB and rinse it out to clean.

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: