New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

taylor
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2012 :  21:19:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
should I worry if my sons male has not eaten for 6 weeks ?

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2012 :  21:29:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How old is he?

Adult royals fast in the mating season, which may last from early autumn through till spring. I have a cf 10 male who hasn't eaten for 5 months - and has only lost 5% of his bodyweight. This guy was born in the spring - and fasted in his first winter too. So if your son's royal is an adult or young adult - absolutely no need to worry.

A small hatchling is a different matter - a non-eating hatchling needs to be monitored and weighed regularly, and personally I would not like to leave a tiny snake too long without food - but hope this is not the case with your son's royal.

Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2012 :  22:36:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My young female weighed 152g and hasn't eat for 6weeks and only lost a 1g
Go to Top of Page

taylor
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2012 :  14:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi , thank you for your replies. My sons male python is an adult,about 4ft long, I don't know how old as it was an adult when we rehomed it. I will however get my son to start weighing him so we have something to go by. Would he still know when the mating season is ? he is the only one , he doesn't have a mate.
Also , he is only normally fed every 2-3 weeks ( 1 small rat ) Is this ok ? We have tried every week with small weaner rats but he has never been interested, seems to prefer the size of small rats.
Thank you
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2012 :  15:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - ah yes, then definitely a mating season fast by the sound! Yes, it's normal for even solitary royals - as long as your setup and temps etc are ok you've nothing to worry about.

As for feeding I personally go by a guide posted by an admin member on here - that is, feed a prey roughly 10/15% of the snake's weight, and base feeding times on the royal's weight ie

0-400g - feed every 5 days
400-800g - feed every 7 days
800-1200g - feed every 10 days
1200g+ - feed every fortnight

Or if buying prey of precise weight is a faff, feed a prey with a girth no bigger than the royal's girth.

I offer my fasting royals food every 10-14 days, and I find they take a smaller prey more readily when coming out of a fast - but I have a load of grabby colubrids ready to recycle anything that's refused, so for me that's a good system. If your lad prefers a small rat, I'd offer him what he likes.

Hope this helps, and hope he starts feeding soon for you - but they can go for 9 monthswithout food and lose little weight and stay healthy - it's a royal thing, so don't be disheartened if he fasts a while longer.

Edited by - n/a on 29/03/2012 15:09:35
Go to Top of Page

mariefoster
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  23:49:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi i have a little girl.she was hatched on the 22 nd july,,i have only had her 4 week & she still hasent eaten,i got her from a very good place & was told she eat very well,i have heated the rat pups up & also brained it & she still wont eat it,im getting worried is this ok
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  00:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont worry Marie, it can take them a few weeks to settle in but just to get a feel for things, what is your setup like, temperatures (including how they are measured and controlled), and pictures if you can.

Go to Top of Page

Tawfik47
Fully Grown Royal

Czech Republic
1584 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  14:37:51  Show Profile  Click to see Tawfik47's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it is their nature, not to eat at first I was worried, but now i see it as a normal behavior putting in consideration every thing in your setup is ok as Rob said.

1.0.0 Common Boa - Revo CB13

I had a royal python (Blitz) for two years for those who are wondering what I'm doing here with my boa :D
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  20:29:00  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
HJi,
My royal female fasts each year at this time and it lasts about 6 weeks, she just took a rat so hopefully yours will too. Its just what they do!

0.1.0 Royal Python - Florence
1.0.0 Boa Constrictor - Boris
1.1.0 Alaunts - Willow & Brochan
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  20:33:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww Sandi, there's a name I've not seen in a good while, how the heck are you?

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  21:04:01  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fine and dandy my good bob! and yourself?

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  21:07:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm fine thank you. Good to see you back.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Sub Adult

787 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2012 :  21:08:17  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

beachtone
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  13:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new to Royals too and finding the eating(or not!!)habits a little hard to get used to also.
Had my 14 month old for just over a month now,refused for a couple of weeks even tho' overdue a feed when I got her, then took a large mouse,then a small weaner rat a week later(both times immeadiatly with nice big strikes!!) (feeding sorted I thought!!) Offered another rat a week later(yesterday)and - not interested at all!! Had a good old sniff at it and then just turned away in discust!! LOL
Guess she's not hungry again yet!!
Go to Top of Page

mariefoster
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2012 :  21:46:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Dont worry Marie, it can take them a few weeks to settle in but just to get a feel for things, what is your setup like, temperatures (including how they are measured and controlled), and pictures if you can.

she is in a breading box viv size 16.3 inch long..by 10.4 deep..by 5.8 inch high...with a large water bowl & a largeish hide,aspin bottom about 90f during the day 80 2 85 during the night,,heat mate under 3rd of tub,has a thermostate & a digital thermometer..she still want eat even i have tried rat pups,the breeding tank in lock in a 4ft by 16inch high 15 deep & when she out in the breeding box she has no room 2 move,she only can climb over the hide or the water bowl 2 move x
Go to Top of Page

mariefoster
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  23:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi Lotabob,,, it there any thing u can tell me what i can do...im really stuck..shes still not feeding xx
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  01:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry I missed your reply. I wouldn't drop your night time temps, just leave the heat mat on at 90oF/32oC constantly, the ambient air temp will drop at night anyway and thats all thats needed, dropping the temps at night is faffy, I never drop the hot side temps but you do see a drop in cool end temp . A small box is a good place to start and don't worry if it appears small to you to a snake its just cosy.

The absolute most important thing to do though is not panic, they can and do go for long periods of time without eating and it has no effect on them at all, my Royal didn't eat for 4 months and lost a few grams its something they are built to cope with very well, 5 weeks to them is like us skipping breakfast so dont you worry about it.

Royals are nocturnal animals, in the wild they hide when its light so it may help to make sure its not too light during the day and much darker at night, if the tub is in a vivarium if there are any lights in there, switch them off and chuck a towel over the front, leave justa tiny inch or 2 at an the opposite end open so you can peek in without lifting the towel.

Give it a week like that and then attempt a feed. When you feed, defrost the rat in the vivarium, leave it for a good few hours sitting out until its totally defrosted, then pop ratty in the tub with no fuss, no messing just drop it in just before you go to bed and then leave her to it all night undisturbed with all lights off, no noise around her. Fingers crossed with the week of calming prep work, the rat smell for hours and then not a single disturbance around her that rat will be snaffled down.

I have to do this with my Royal, he is a very shy feeder BUT and this is the important thing once you find out how they like to eat they will usually eat every time. My shy guy took 4 weeks to start eating as I went through a few techniques, but now I know his style just over a year later and a 4 month breeding season fast he is one of the bigger Royals on here so been slow to settle is by no means an indicator of future problems.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  01:22:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is Duke the above mentioned shy feeder.

January 2011 - A hand sized sausage

March 2012 - A Lotabob length scaffold Pole (only about 2/3 of him in that picture)

So as you can see, nothing to worry about, just part of the process of bonding and tuning in to your Royal's ways.

Edited by - Lotabob on 08/04/2012 01:25:43
Go to Top of Page

brad37
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  10:55:58  Show Profile  Send brad37 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hi i have a royal and it has not taken a feed for coming up for six weeks is there any one who can help it worrying me now i have tryed braining and changing its food i know they can go a long time with know food its only a baby its a foot long. i dont really want to use live pray if i have to cos i dont like killing anything i would be very greatful for some help

d.j.green
Go to Top of Page

mariefoster
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  22:17:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi thanks 4 all info,hopefully all this will work,,when i can i will send u a pic of her xx i will keep u informed xxx
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

This is Duke the above mentioned shy feeder.

January 2011 - A hand sized sausage

March 2012 - A Lotabob length scaffold Pole (only about 2/3 of him in that picture)

So as you can see, nothing to worry about, just part of the process of bonding and tuning in to your Royal's ways.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000