New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mr_luke
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  00:57:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had mine for about a week now, noticed His eyes had gone blue 4 days ago, He's not been fed since I got him, would He accept food? And if he did would it affect His shed in any way? I've read in another post it can take a few weeks for them to shed. Not sure on age He's about 20inch long and I'm told, a good eater.

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  01:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It can take a while for a new snake to start eating after moving as it can be stressful for them, it is also quite stressful for a snake that is going through the processes of shedding their skin and this too will stop them eating. It is recommended to leave them a week to settle in and then attempt a feed, it won't do any harm at all to still attempt this when the snake is in blue it just makes the chances of the rat going in the bin a little bit higher. I don't feed any of mine from when they first show signs of shedding until after they have shed and for my Royal I leave an extra week after that too, that's just what I have found to work and avoid wasting food but you will very quickly learn that all snakes are different and quirky and Royal's in particular are known to be fussy but this doesn't mean all of them are. The good news is feeding will not have any knock on effect on the shed at all, that skin is coming off one way or another and a belly full of rat wont stop it (dont forget to raise your humidity during the preparation to shed, it helps the skin come off cleanly)

Age wise as a pure guess I would say 4-8 months old and you can see from the picture he is a good eater, he looks good and chunky, perfectly Royal shaped. Lovely little crestie too, fire?

Go to Top of Page

mr_luke
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  11:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one, thanks! I'll give Him a try then. Humidity is raised and He has a moss hide too. Yeah that's my little flame/fire crestie, nice little reptiles, and they keep you on your toes with their random flying leaps lol. Thanks for a helpful reply

Go to Top of Page

mr_luke
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  19:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pleased to report, he had shed when I got home this morning, got it all off Himself (2 pieces) and has just had His first feed, took it first time! I'm one very happy owner!

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2012 :  19:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats!

Go to Top of Page

ShadEO9
Yearling

United Kingdom
126 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2012 :  18:59:31  Show Profile  Visit ShadEO9's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pleased hes shed and fed for you.
And hes a real beaut.

Go to Top of Page

MrSteely
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  22:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just fed my 9 month old royal when she was in blue, and she did something I've never seen before.
Normally she feeds fine whether she's in blue or not. A small mouse warmed in a bowl of warm water once a week give or take a day or two.
Today she was in blue but I thought id try her anyway. It took a few minutes, but instead of striking, she gently took the mouse off the tweezers, swallowed a quarter of it and then started to constrict it.

Weird, but them again last week she missed her strike twice and the third one was ropey so maybe she was being careful not to embarrass herself again :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000