Plastic Box Vs Heat Mat?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  22:36:17  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I bought a 62 litre plastic box today, like a RUB, but not - here it is: http://www.wilkinsonplus.com/plastic-storage-/crystal-storage-box-with-lid-clear-62ltr/invt/0285472/?htxt=PsAGyAqy%2FDSGVBgOHPBfATKVETOKIWHcwqoICuDrG%2FxTcDPfxIrYzUvEu76RzzM6wutKTeo9AOCB%0AtDs76aYYKg%3D%3D

I bought this mainly as emergency housing for the next time I impulse buy another Royal, so am going to get it set up and ready in advance with my spare heat mat (buy a mat stat) and hides which Monty has outgrown, so on the day I can just dump in a bag of substrate and I'm good to go.

You can't see too well on that photo, but the floor of the box has moulded "feet" which are part of the shape of the box its self - 1 in each corner and 1 in the middle, which raise the box off the floor by a couple of millimetres. So as this will be sat directly on a heat mat, my question is, would a heat mat get hot enough to melt the box??

As an added bonus, I have a spare wardrobe / storage unit thing in my man cave (spare bedroom) - and wouldnt you just know it but the plastic box is a perfect fit in the wardrobe - pull the doors off and I've got a readymade RUBrack - I can see many more Royals being bought as payday treats to myself

www.royal-balls.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/dandavisreptiles

Edited by - Se7enS1ns on 30/03/2012 22:37:43

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  23:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Easy answer. Not if it's statted.

The melting point of a few common plastics is:

The melting point of HDPE (High Density Polyethelyne) is about 130 ºC
The melting point of LDPE (Low Density Polyethelyne) is about 110 ºC
The melting point of PET (Polyethylene terphthalate) is about 250—260 ºC
The melting point of PP (Polypropylene) is about 160—170 ºC
The melting point of PS (Polystyrene) is about 70—115 ºC
The melting point of PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) is about 75—90 ºC

have a look on the bottom it will say what the plastic is as its required by law if I remember rightly. The important thing though is to remember with a stat its going to be at about 32-35oC, not nearly hot enough.

Go to Top of Page

Se7enS1ns
Yearling

United Kingdom
354 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2012 :  10:37:26  Show Profile  Visit Se7enS1ns's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very thorough - Thanks very much! I haven't seen any markings on the box which state the material, but maybe I haven't looked hard enough :)

I was planning on sitting the rub directly on top of the heatmat, with the moulded feet allowing for an air gap with just the feet in direct contact with the mat, and the stat probe placed inside the box, on the floor, with the substrate on top.

Came across this thread on my search for information - http://iansvivarium.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5420 Bit worrying!!

How do other people set up their RUB / Heat mat combos?

www.royal-balls.blogspot.com
www.facebook.com/dandavisreptiles
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000