Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  16:58:35  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Been looking into getting a spider royal for my birthday in a few months but after reading daz's topic on wobbling and see this video i have been totaly put off.
This spinner looks totaly stress out by it all and if you look at her other vid where she has removed the second royal from the rub it seems better,shame really those spinners look gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlX58vxt0AU

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  17:08:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is very off putting, i wonder if they will ever be able to breed this out of them?

You should ask the mrs to get you a toffee royal, just tell her the price when she has said yes..lol

when is your birthday?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  17:10:39  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
really had my heart set on a spider,i could'nt watch it go through that all the time,looks like it's having some sort of fit.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  17:29:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like spiders too, but I also couldnt live with that. Its selective breeding gone too far in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  17:31:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not all spiders do it, and some that do it it is hardly noticable, and then there is the bad ones.

it mainly occurs around feeding time and there are ALOT of different opinions on this.

The main points i have gotten from alot of reading and asking questions is...

although it may not look nice in the worst cases, it hasnt been proven to be detrimental to the snake in anyway. they are great feeders and make some of the most stunning morphs.

I have decided that i will own one at some point cos they are one of my favourites...

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  17:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I like spiders too, but I also couldnt live with that. Its selective breeding gone too far in my opinion.

but also when you are breeding abinos, are you not breeding a species that will have very poor eyesite and if not be blind, due to the lack of black pigmant that makes the pupils...?

is that ok...?

Edited by - dazb on 25/03/2009 17:36:09
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  18:05:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont see it as ok, but I see it a tolerable. Its within what I think is an acceptable level of well being for the animal physically.

The wild types are as they are because they are perfect, the best nature can make them, but as they are common they are less desireable and less appreciated. (im not saying people with morphs dont appreciate wild type snakes, I would like to own morphs eventualy).

I can only judge my opinion on what I see as we dont know how the snakes think, but I couldnt watch that and not feel guilty.

Edit = Spelling

Edited by - matty18714 on 25/03/2009 18:13:57
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  18:05:53  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

not all spiders do it, and some that do it it is hardly noticable, and then there is the bad ones.

it mainly occurs around feeding time and there are ALOT of different opinions on this.

The main points i have gotten from alot of reading and asking questions is...

although it may not look nice in the worst cases, it hasnt been proven to be detrimental to the snake in anyway. they are great feeders and make some of the most stunning morphs.

I have decided that i will own one at some point cos they are one of my favourites...

Ditto. To start with I was a bit OMG that's awful but they are nice looking snakes.

If the wobble is exagerated when it's stressed then surely the simple answer is do everything in your power to prevent it getting stressed out.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  18:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but we know that is detrimental to the snake health...where as the wobble isnt(well not yet proved). or is it cos we dont see any visual signs of it that makes it ok...?

in that video it seems more like star gazing to me... most spiders 'wobble' and i dont believe many do it to that extreme.
But then again you only see the bad ones on youtube. nobody ever posts a vid on youtube saying 'look at how my spider doesnt wobble...'

(just wanted to say im not falling out with you matty, just love a good debate)

Edited by - dazb on 25/03/2009 18:23:24
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  18:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

If the wobble is exagerated when it's stressed then surely the simple answer is do everything in your power to prevent it getting stressed out.

aparantly it mainly occurs/ most visible during feeding time...

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  18:34:46  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Both these morphs appear in the wild, so we cannot say it is a selective breeding issue really.

All spiders have the 'wobble' but as Daz says, its more noticable in some than others.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  18:37:40  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Btw, just in case anyone didn't know, a Spinner is a Spider x Pinstripe.

If you like Spiders you'll probably like Pinstripes (which don't exhibit the wobble).

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  19:02:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Both these morphs appear in the wild, so we cannot say it is a selective breeding issue really.

All spiders have the 'wobble' but as Daz says, its more noticable in some than others.

do the ones in the wild wobble?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  19:21:01  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
even though i have read that some think there is no phycological effect on the snake because they still feed well but i just couldnt sit and watch a snake do that as i would always feel that i wish there was something i could do to help it,i know this is an extreme example but if you buy a young spider there is no saying how it is going to turn out.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  19:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is true lee. it is a shame and you can never tell how there gonna turn out.

Alot of morphs out there are spider based unfortunately.

The wobbling is the main reason i have opted for a lesser though...

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  19:33:14  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you like Spiders you'll probably like Pinstripes (which don't exhibit the wobble).

Thats good to know be,Any one know of where i can get prices for a pinstripe or a rough idea of what they cost?

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  19:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pinstripes are around £450+

I have looked into these and seen quite a few differents ones pattern wise...some i love, some i dont...

the one on NERD is great... just have a look around some of the breeding sites.

http://www.newenglandreptile.com/nerd/index.php/ball-pythons/pinstripe-ball-python.html

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  20:03:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

wanted to say im not falling out with you matty, just love a good debate

Dont worry mate, im on the same page

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  20:04:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

If they did appear in the wild, surly they wouldnt last very long?

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  20:22:37  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just seen a few prices between £350 private-450 trade,cpr have one too.Do pinstripes have the dominant gene?

Edited by - lee2308 on 25/03/2009 21:09:43
Go to Top of Page

Danny Action1
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  20:24:46  Show Profile  Click to see Danny Action1's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya guys and girls

Just wanted to know do you think all spiders have the wobble?? When i first got my spider he did have a slight wobble and was dehydrated but he is feeding well and have not noticed the wobble since but will keep an extra eye on him now and before feeding time.

cheers Danny

0.1.0 Lemmon Pastel
0.1.0 Albino
1.0.0 Spider
1.0.0 Pastel
1.1.0 Mojave
1.0.0 Het Pied
0.1.0 Pied
0.1.0 Pinstripe
1.0.0 Double het Caramel Glow
0.1.0 Het Orange Ghost
0.1.0 Het Caramel