New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2012 :  22:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know i was on the side of rats for the debate we had but I've been feeding Kane mice purely because he will not touch a rat but i know really wanna get him back on to rats (He started feeding on weaners but went into shed and hasnt touched one since) I've tried braining the rat and not had any luck! What else can i do to get him to take it? According to the feeding chart he is a little below average so would like him to put on a little weight...

1.1.0 Normal Royal Pythons... Kane (CF11) + Frankie (CB11)
1.0.0 Spider Royal Python (CB13)
1.0.0 100% het kahl albino boa Dexter (CB13)
1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
0.1.0 Red Harlequin Crested Gecko... Charlie
0.1.0 Albino Leopard Gecko... Cleo
1.1.0 African Green Mantis
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie
1.1.0 Cats... Ebony and DK

darkblade666
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  07:35:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tryed senting the rat with mouse rubbing rat on mouse so it smells like a mouse and get rats that look the same the mouse you have been feeding colors and size to start with then when feeding regular on rats can start young sizes to get the weight up
Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  11:02:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No ive not but ill try that thanks... I've tried him on all different size rats and i know the only colour he eats in white ones so i dont bother getting any other colour. He's fussy!

1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie

Go to Top of Page

Waley333
Yearling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  15:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen some people say to try them on a smaller sized rodent than you normally would? Maybe that might help?

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal Python - Osiris
Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  15:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly he didn't eat the rat! I brained it, rubbed a mouse all over it and even put a bit of mouse blood on the head and nothing! So he's now chowing down on a another rat! It's just irritating me now I dunno what else to try! At the minute I can't get hold of any smaller rats.

1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  16:21:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little nuisance! Naught lad!

I can't really add to what others have said, save that it IS possible to get mouse-eaters on to rats. With Shahi I was a complete beginner and so scared of him refusing that I let him get away with mice until after his first fast. Then one day he got into a tangle with a mouse and when it was all chewed and soggy I offered him a fresh warm rat - and he took. Surahi I was told would eat nothing but mice, but when I'd had her a while I tried her with a rat - and she took. So they can change their ways.

The only other thing I can think of is, don't worry too much for the present. Imo in May/June and the summer, most royals are really eating well, and you might get a pleasant surprise when offering him a rat. When he does start on rats, he'll put the weight on, but for the meanwhile, as long as he's looking nicely rounded, which he is, don't worry about him being below average weight. Royals are like people - some are small, some large.

Fingers crossed the awkward little git bucks his ideas up and takes a rat for you soon!

Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  17:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The most annoying thing is he has eaten rats before!

Would it best to keep feeding him mice so he eats or leave him a bit and try a rat?

1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  18:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, sorry - I'd missed that bit about him eating rats before (spring cleaning for the first time in years omg, brain's not operating.)

If he was one of mine, he'd jolly well get a rat and like it lol. I'd personally keep on offering rats, but realise that if the rat goes to waste, that's expensive. Will Frankie eat rats? Even if it means offering him a smaller rat, if Frankie will recycle it if it's refused, it would be easier on your pocket.

Otherwise, yes, if he's really being obstinate, that's another plan, to wait for a month or two till peak feeding period, and try him with rats again.

Good luck with him.

Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  20:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frankie could take a rat pup i think it was but the smallest rat i can get here is a weaner which Kane could easily take down but Frankie is a bit too small but she will be getting switched to rats soon as I've moved...

He's such a fussy bugger! The pet shops round here aren't exactly reptile shops but where im moving too has a few so ill be able to get everything in a couple of weeks.

1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  21:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, for what it's worth, just remembered another trick with rats, and that's to obtain some used mouse bedding from a pet shop, and defrost the rat in that, make it smell nice and mousey.

Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  21:22:33  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Can not add much but you thought of ordering them online

http://www.facebook.com/DannosRoyalPythons?ref=hl
Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  22:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mouse bedding?

Yeah I've looked into it but I can't afford that right now.

1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  22:36:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you get some nice smelly used substrate from a tank of mice, and defrost the rat in the same bag, and the rat ends up smelling super-mousey. Only trouble might be, finding a shop that sells pet mice - nowadays it's all miniature hamsters and gerbils and that. (Though might be an idea experimenting with bedding from those to get Kane intrigued lol.) I think it was Royalbob on here who told me about that - never ended up doing that myself as the snakes obliged, but I can imagine it working.

Go to Top of Page

Strawb
Yearling

Germany
120 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  20:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you tried blasting the head of the rat with a hair dryer? It worked for my royal. De-frost it on a mouse for the smell, then heat the head with a hair dryer till you can smell singed hairs then offer that. Something warm and smelling of mouse might do the trick.
Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  23:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah tried all that yesterday :(

1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie

Go to Top of Page

LittlestarRed
Yearling

United Kingdom
197 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  11:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a similar problem with my Albino, Alice. She was on rats but I couldn't get the right size so substituted for a mouse for 2 weeks....bad idea! I should have known better as she was fussy anyway and would only take white rats. I tried heating the rats up in warm water with a mouse. First time a 50% size prey item of each and fed the mouse first and then the rat. It worked!
The next feed I did the same but with her normal prey size mouse and rat, then just offered the rat. She took it after a fashion (dropped it and kept sniffing then leaving it, finally eating it). I then gave the mouse to another snake who is less fussy! lol.
I'm hoping this week she'll take a normal rat without the faff! *fingers crossed*.

Good luck with the rat problem!

Royals:1.2 Normals 'Hector'(He's my Baby! lol),'Lily' & 'Satan',0.1 Albino 'Alice', 0.2 Bumblebees 'Belle' & 'unnamed', 0.1 Pinstripe 'Stripy', 1.0 Pastel het Albino 'Pasty' 1.0 HG Woma 'Helix' & 0.1 Lesser 'Honey' 1.0 Enchi 'Max',0.1 Pewter Fader 'Pandora' and 1.0 Clown 'Krusty'. Others: 0.1 Corn 'Nagini', 1.0 BRB 'Juju', 1.0 Honduran BCI 'Lucius', 1.1 Beardies 'Beanie and Snuggle' and 1.0 Yemen Chameleon 'Jasper'(a.k.a Hissy Fusspot).

Edited by - LittlestarRed on 21/04/2012 11:07:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000