New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Waley333
Yearling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  21:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm probably worrying over nothing but as a bit of a novice still, anything I don't class as normal worries me. LOL.

Anyway, I was handling Osiris tonight and he's a jumpy and nervous snake anyway and from previous photos he's getting a right chunky monkey too, but whilst I was handling him it seemed he was trying his utmost to try and get away from me so I placed him on my bed and he just slithered off as normal. Tried to pick him up again and thee same thing happened. It just seems as though he's trying to put up a bit of resistance against me.

I've noticed he's definitely getting stronger as he's becoming a big boy but he's been making really good progress, what with being jumpy and nervous and now it's like he's took a step back as he was even jumpy at touching his own tail.

Is there anything I can to improve him being nervous and jumpy? Or is it just a matter of perseverance and continuous handling over time?

I know I'm being really silly but I know if I don't ask I won't know. LOL.

1.0.0 CB11 Normal Royal Python - Osiris

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  10:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can try gentle handling for 5-10 mins everyday, it may just be a something he`s going though. They are all different i have some that are very chilled and really enjoy coming out where others retreat into their hides at the first sign of movement. I had chilled ones becoming nervous and vice versa. Patience and quiet handling is all you can do. If hes really happy to be left alone then maybe thats whats best for him for a while though.

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  11:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, as Hodgie says - snakes seem to go through stages of becoming almost different personalities - I see this with my corns as well. A placid laid back snake who enjoys being handled one week will be curled up in its hide and saying 'do I know you?' the next lol (and not because it's shedding either. They just can be that way out.)

Talking of shedding - is Osiris due for one? Because that could be another cause.

But if not, he's just being a snake. Snakes will always be wild animals - once a cat or dog is tame and trained, these behaviours tend to stay in place for the rest of the animal's life, but it's not so with a snake, who is always capable of being unpredictable - adds to their charm I think lol. And again, you're not being silly by the way.

Go to Top of Page

Waley333
Yearling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  11:33:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks hodgie and BATS. It's definitely put my mind at ease reading what both of you have put. I think I'll just leave him for a couple of days. He's due for a feed today as well so I can't touch him for a couple of days anyway. LOL.

With regards to shedding, I'm not exactly sure how often Royal's shed? Thee last time Osiris shed was on thee 22nd of March, so would he be due soon. I've looked at his skin and he doesn't look dull and his eyes haven't turned blue either.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  11:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At around Osiris's weight, Shahi was shedding every 6-8 weeks approx, but that's just a rough guide as they'll all differ, depending on eating/growth. Young snakes who are growing well certainly shed more frequently than adults.

Go to Top of Page

Waley333
Yearling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  20:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, thanks for that... (: Just to give you an update too on Osiris, his tail looks a lot better today and tappers off as normal since I found a nice present for me in his Faun today. LOL.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000