New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ianj2012
Snake Mite

7 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  21:48:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Guys,
I am new to this site and new to keeping Royals. I have previously kept corns and with that knowledge and a bit from my local store thought I had everything covered. I know I have been a little naive and should have done more homework but with the advice of the store I have purchased a dimmer stat and ir bulb to heat the viv. I have now read that these guys get stressed if they dont have a definate day and night period, now here's the question, how do I give a day/night sernario when I pretty much have an IR bulb running 24/7 to keep the ambient temp up? Does IR count or have I just been badly advised or is there anything I can do?
I am hoping I dont have to go and purchase a pulse stat and ceramic bulb but if thats what it takes to keep Saphira happy then thats what i'll do.
Cheers for any help and advice.
Ian

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  21:55:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do what you do, with 4 royals in 4 vivs - I just have an IR and dimmer 24/7 - warm end 32c, cool end 26c, and my guys are fine. They just have normal UK daylight/night and that's how most royals are kept. Snakes can't 'see' IR light so they get natural darkness. Imo, Saphira will be fine.

And welcome to the forum!

Edited by - n/a on 29/04/2012 21:56:34
Go to Top of Page

austin_89
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1248 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  22:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My snakes are the same as BATS' they get the uk day/night and they're fine with it

Welcome to the forum, everyone is really helpful :)

1.1.0 Normal Royal Pythons... Kane (CF11) + Frankie (CB11)
1.0.0 Spider Royal Python (CB13)
1.0.0 100% het kahl albino boa Dexter (CB13)
1.0.0 Butter Corn...
0.1.0 Snow Corn... Alice
0.1.0 Red Harlequin Crested Gecko... Charlie
0.1.0 Albino Leopard Gecko... Cleo
1.1.0 African Green Mantis
1.0.0 Staffy... Alfie
1.1.0 Cats... Ebony and DK

Go to Top of Page

ianj2012
Snake Mite

7 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  23:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, that has made me feel a lot better, I know royals are notoriously bad feeders so I want to give her the best environment possible so to try and avoid problems.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  23:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah the bad feeding reputation thing is chiefly due to the royal mating season, generally late autumn through to spring, when most adult royals fast though they don't lose much weight. Got all my lot at it now (although awkward git Shiva who has arrived from the US has fed all through winter and has just started fasting lol) I see it as a kind of hibernation. Reckon Shahi Saada and Surahi will soon be knocking the rats back big time; Shiva can live on his fat for a good while, chunky lad!

Go to Top of Page

ianj2012
Snake Mite

7 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  23:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info on the seasons, will keep that in mind.
I am now struggling with temperatures, even with ir bulb over one side of the viv, my new digital thermometers are reading 25 and 23 not good! I am not 100% sure
what I can do to sort it. Any ideas? As I say the bulb is predominantly over one side and stat set to 30-32c! Its a glass viv 40cm x 30cm and 35cm in height. The roof is mesh with the lamp sat on top.
Any ideas? Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

JamesA
Hatchling

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  08:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The first thing to bear in mind is that the markings on the stat dial are very inaccurate. The usual practice is to ignore them, attach the probe from your thermometer to the stat probe and then set the stat based on the thermometer reading.

Also, my feeling is that the mesh roof is going to make it a nightmare to keep the temp and humidity up. I think some pics of your setup would be useful at this point. What's the age/size of your royal too?
Go to Top of Page

ianj2012
Snake Mite

7 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  12:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is only a few months old, just over a foot or so in length!
That is where I put the probe for the thermometer and it was reading nearly 26c!?
So will I be better off getting a wooden viv? If so what sort of size should I be looking at?
Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  13:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 3' viv is generally the norm for an adult royal python, although many hatchlings are fine in them as long as loads of cover and hides are provided.

Also you could always try draping a thick towel over the roof and three sides of the enclosure - yes, those mesh roofs let a lot of heat escape. If that solves the problem for the time being, now that the warmer (we hope!) weather is here, you could maybe wait until autumn to transfer her to her viv when she is bigger.

You can get 2' vivs as well but means getting a larger one when she outgrows that (though of course then you'd have a spare viv for another snake lol.)

Go to Top of Page

ianj2012
Snake Mite

7 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  22:25:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The towel trick worked a treat, thanks now got 31.8c and 23.2c how do they sound? Also got a hide with damp moss too just to cool her down more if needed?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000