Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  21:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys haven't been Posted for a while

As u many know I got klara couple Of months back and she hasn't feed once but the last couple of weeks she has been striking at it then Leaving it any ideas

Edited by - Pythonwizard on 29/04/2012 21:59:33

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  22:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a good sign that she's striking, but she's very young and 2 months is a long time to go without food in the case of a hatchling, even a royal hatchling imo. Personally I'd be thinking about assist in this sort of case - but this is just my opinion of course. I know you got her from CPR but is there a friendly local shop who could advise and help with this? Or a member on here? Which area are you in? Hope it doesn't have to come to this of course.

Hope she shows more interest and takes next time. All the best.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  23:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd also be thinking down the line of assisting, its really not as traumatic as people make out, you just gently put the food into their mouth and they do the rest but if you aren't confident on how to get their mouths open then a reptile shop will show you how its done.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  23:19:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah this is what happened with Shahi and I -

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6497&SearchTerms=another+shahi-versary+-+and+a+confession

BUT - any nervousness or doubts, DO get some help.

Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  07:17:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What am going to do is I'll ring them CPR later And ask for some advice
Go to Top of Page

hodgie
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1197 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  21:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If she`s striking then she wants to eat it maybe that you just need to make sure the food item is warm enough to get a hit or you maybe moving the food around abit quick. How do you heat up the food item?

Royals owned "lots"

Go to Top of Page

Pythonwizard
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
650 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  22:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right ringed CPR up and they said just try and put the food in her mouth I didn't feel really that confident doing this
So I ringed my local pet shop they said make sure the food is very warm and you can touch it and if that doesn't work they said they will take it off me for a week or so to try and get her feeding
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  10:47:22  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could always try a different food like chicks or mice at least that way she would have some food in her belly

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2012 :  15:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pythonwizard

Right ringed CPR up and they said just try and put the food in her mouth I didn't feel really that confident doing this
So I ringed my local pet shop they said make sure the food is very warm and you can touch it and if that doesn't work they said they will take it off me for a week or so to try and get her feeding

All the best, hope she feeds soon.

Go to Top of Page

brad37
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  14:54:20  Show Profile  Send brad37 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hi well i am not doing to good. i don't know really wot to do next tryed assist can't seem to get the hang of it. so i took him to the vets he is ment to be the vet who see all the reptiles he did'nt know anything took some food with he was asking me some meds its food wot he needs and he wants me to go back should i go back wot do you think?

d.j.green
Go to Top of Page

brad37
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  14:57:48  Show Profile  Send brad37 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
sorry missed some words hope you all can understand it

d.j.green
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  15:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Brad. If the vet didn't know anything about assist feeding, I would definitely try another reptile vet. Or a local rep shop if there's a good one.

How old is the snake and how long has he been fasting for?

All the best.

Edited by - n/a on 02/05/2012 15:52:43
Go to Top of Page

brad37
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  18:09:46  Show Profile  Send brad37 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hi burned i ask the vet and he did'nt know i could of spent the money going to a reptile vet out of town i have try to find one but could not so i rang the vet wot treats my dog for the past 8 years cos they said they had someone who treats reptiles so i thought i could trust them. wots the point of taking him back if he does not know anything. i need to find someone who can help me. i have tryed assist a few times but i scared of hurting him. wot am i going to do i cant just let him die? if any one can help me out. you go to the vets for help and there a waste of time. and i don't want to go to the reptile shop wot sold me all the wrong set up

d.j.green
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  18:24:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again - which area do you live in? There might be someone on here who could visit you and help with assisting, or know of a good reptile vet or shop in your area. Yes, a lot of shops sell lousy setups and give the wrong advice - don't blame you for not wanting to go back there. Have you got the setup sorted now, as that certainly can be a factor as to whether they eat well or not.

But if your lad is an adult, this fasting may well be normal at this time of year. I have three who have been fasting, apart from the odd snack, for 6 months now. It's their mating season and their minds just aren't on food. They haven't even lost much weight. Is your boy adult or hatchling, and have you a record of his weight?

Also, how long have you had him and how long has he been fasting for? Sorry about all the questions, but it helps to build up a clearer picture.

Go to Top of Page

brad37
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  20:09:15  Show Profile  Send brad37 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hi its great news over the moon he eat i heated up the pray as hot as i could and put him in a small box in the viv so fingers crossed every will be ok now thanks every body who helped me i will keep you up dated thanks brad

d.j.green
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  20:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats! Great to hear - I bet you're so relieved!

Go to Top of Page

brad37
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2012 :  22:26:36  Show Profile  Send brad37 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hi burned thanks its a good feeling just hope he keeps it up. i think i have got rid of the mites fingers crossed. and he as just shed so that mite of done it. i wish he would of done soon before the vet. but but chong is more important than the money. if it was not for sites like this and u tube i don't know where i would of been. we all learn by or mistakes if reptile shops sold the right stuff to you it might of not of been saw long it not right that they don't know anything about reptiles it would save lives. i had to check the flour to make sure i was not dreaming and the box. thanks even when i got a hard time i will be more careful when i get a new family member but not yet when mine fully recovered

d.j.green
Go to Top of Page

brad37
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
22 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  23:45:23  Show Profile  Send brad37 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
he eat again so that,s great it was only baby rat last night so i gave one more but that,s it for five days or so.

d.j.green
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000