New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nomi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  10:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woke up and checked Vincent and hes dead. I've had him just under a month. He's been fed 3 times with no problems then I had the regurgitation earlier this week. Seemed happy and alert all that time. He was absolutely fine on Thursday then seemed Poorly yesterday when I got home I don't understand what it could be to happen so suddenly. He was still a bit skinny, 200g when i weighed him last week even though id started to feed every 5 days. I wonder if it's something I've done. But I thought if there was something wrong with my set up He would have shown some signs. He's in a 2ft vivexotic with Aspen substrate, has a big water bowl and a cave on his cool end, which reads 79/80f and a snake cave on his warm end, 89f. I've got digital thermometers with probes on both sides and 3 big bits of java wood and plastic plants in. I use a heat mat on a matstat. I've got a exoterra analogue hydrometer which was reading high humidity but I hoped it was just crappy and was going to get a digital when I got paid. Could the humidity have been too high? I'm totally devastated. I didnt even get any pics of him cos my camera is broken. RIP Vinnie

1.0.0 Normal royal - Vincent - RIP 05.04.12
0.1.0 Cali king snake - Alice
1.2.0 Whites tree frogs - Mo, Larry and Curly
2.1.0 Axolotls - Rodriguez, Miguel and Pedro
4 Cats - Bo, Bonnie, Cleo and Columbo
1 Cavalier king charles - Lola

Jayde
Yearling

United Kingdom
291 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  11:09:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the humidity was too high it would have been apparent.
How old was he? By the sounds of it, he was very young. I personally would take him to your nearest reptile vet and ask for an autopsy. It could be that there was an underlying health issue that you were not aware if. What was his condition when you first bought him? Did he come from a reputable source where you were satisfied with his keep and treatment. May sound like a silly question but all these things need to be consider. And I've sen many a snake ill kept in shops, and staff who have barely a basic idea of the care requirements for the type of snake. Also it could be that if he was quite young and under weight that the stress of the last few days events sadly took too much of a toll on the poor little guy. All these questions and possibilities is why i would personally want an autopsy to pinpoint the sad reason behind his death. I'd want to know if it was down to a husbandry and care fault or a health issue, so that it's a learning curve for the future.
I'm sorry to hear didnt make it, I know it must be devasting after the stress of the last few days. Keep us updated if you decide to go for the autopsy.

Edited by - Jayde on 05/05/2012 11:13:45
Go to Top of Page

Nomi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  11:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was almost 9 months so not that young. I know he was under weight, which is why I upped his feeding to every 5 days. The guy I got him from said to feed every week, he had bred him and said nothing of I'll health. I did get him quite cheap, he said he was going to keep him but then changed his mind. He seemed pretty genuine and had a room full of pythons. Like I said he seemed absolutely fine. He was my first royal but I have done loads of research and have another snake who i've had no problems with. I'll look into getting an autopsy.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  11:28:51  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about his death. I'd contact the breeder and let him know he might have risk of the same thing happening to some of the other pythons.

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Jayde
Yearling

United Kingdom
291 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  11:38:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, that's a reasonable amount to be underweight by according to te weight by age chart, so that may have been te biggest factor, as here's a possibility he could have been mal-nourished. Was there a reason why he changed his mind? I the to say it like this, because its horrible to think that people would act in such a way, but when a sale and money are concerned, any health issues or concerns that aren't instantly visible or hearable ( eg: R:I ) won't be mentioned. Im guessing he would have been smaller web he was bought , so it could have been that he wasn't a good starter, so the breeder got him feedi g and then got rid f him once he could so that he didn't become a burden to him, as he would still make a profit. Very sad to think about, but it's done by breeders and shops alike, by all, but there are always the handful. I guess if you were going to pursue your jnteres in royals, the best advice would be to look around between a few breeders, shops and the 'masters' like CPR etc, watch it feed, general earth over a period of weeks through a couple of feeds etc. But I certainly hope that you get some piece of mind from a vet and again, I'm really sorry to hear you've lost the little guy :(
Go to Top of Page

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  11:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aw that's so sad. Sorry to hear that nomi :(.

1.0.0 normal royal -Floyd
1.0.0 mojave royal - Smee
1.0.0 common boa - Brady
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  13:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very very sorry to hear. x

Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  15:04:00  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sad times :(

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

ppl_clectr
Yearling

Canada
226 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  15:50:51  Show Profile  Visit ppl_clectr's Homepage  Click to see ppl_clectr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear Nomi :(

SherriR
Go to Top of Page

acd1984
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  20:08:13  Show Profile  Click to see acd1984's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry for your loss, like kelf said, contact the breeder, it could be something genetic and/or something that has been transferred from his snakes.

1.0.0 Lesser - Helios
2.0.0 Normal - George & Kairo
1.0.0 Mojave - Bolt
0.1.0 Mojave - Roxi
1.0.0 Leopard Gecko - Leo
0.0.1 Crocodile gecko - Pheonix

Go to Top of Page

JB2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  21:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

So sorry to hear of your loss Nomi, best wishes

Coming soon...
Go to Top of Page

Nomi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  22:54:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone, have texted the guy I got him from, no reply as yet. I got his feeding record from hatching and dug it out earlier for another look, he refused his feeds for almost 2months from hatching according to this then had assisted feeds up until feb this year, may explain why he was underweight. I assumed because he had struck for 2mnths before i got him he was fine. I really did feel the breeder was a good guy and don't think he knowingly sold me a poorly royal, but I will definitely be more wary in future.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  23:01:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh that is sad news, it does sound like he had a tough start and may go some way to explaining what's happened. I would get a PM done at the vets to give a clear indication of what went so wrong and also may show the breeder that poor Vin was never right and sadly had no chance of survival. I dont think its anything you've done, your setup was right and you had him feeding so in my opinion it must be something internal that has gone wrong so dont feel bad thinking you are to blame, these things just happen from time to time.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000