New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nomi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  21:48:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My boys acting really strange. He usually spends most of his time in his cave, but when I came home today I found him stretched out on the floor of the viv. I lifted him out and he seemed really lethargic, this was about 6 and I thought maybe he hadn't 'woken up' properly. I put him back in and he really slowly went into his cave, got about half way in and then stopped for a bit. Came back out, I put him in his feeding tub and offered food, which he refused. First time he hasn't taken. I put him back in, he went in his cave slowly and came back out and has half of his body, including his head totally resting on the floor. He's been like that for ages now. IF he comes out his cave he is usually really inquisitive, head up and tongue flicking, climbing about. I'm getting a bit stressed as it's so sudden, temp is correct as usual and I haven't done anything different. He escaped the other day and got really cold and brought up his food. Could it be stress? Or could he be about to shed? Any suggestions appreciated.

1.0.0 Normal royal - Vincent - RIP 05.04.12
0.1.0 Cali king snake - Alice
1.2.0 Whites tree frogs - Mo, Larry and Curly
2.1.0 Axolotls - Rodriguez, Miguel and Pedro
4 Cats - Bo, Bonnie, Cleo and Columbo
1 Cavalier king charles - Lola

Jayde
Yearling

United Kingdom
291 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  22:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this the royal or the king?
If a regurgitation has happened then it's like when a human is sick. It brings the digestive acids up and strains the muscles, and leaves you feeling rubbish for a few days. It is also important that you avoid offering another feed for 5 - 7 days from when the regurgitation happened.
Is he taking on fluids? That is something to be keeping an eye one because the last thing he needs to go through is suffering dehydration.
Go to Top of Page

Nomi
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2012 :  22:57:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The royal, it's the first time ive had it happen, and he seemed fine last night. ( the regurge was we'd night). I'll put off feeding for a week now. I don't know if he's had any fluids though. I'm checking him constantly though Ill keep an eye out. Thanks so much for your help, I feel a little better knowing what it could be.

1.0.0 Normal royal - Vincent - RIP 05.04.12
0.1.0 Cali king snake - Alice
1.2.0 Whites tree frogs - Mo, Larry and Curly
2.1.0 Axolotls - Rodriguez, Miguel and Pedro
4 Cats - Bo, Bonnie, Cleo and Columbo
1 Cavalier king charles - Lola
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  00:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
easiest check to do is a quick look at his belly, if its pinkish then its a shed, then lightly pinch the skin, if it holds up its dehydration, if it immediately springs back then its not dehydration. It may just be stress from the escape and recapture and loss of heat etc. Best thing to do is keep an eye on him, they do act odd from time to time.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000