Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  22:37:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
read the care sheet and now i'm gonna buy a heat mat, do i keep the mat under the tank at 1 side or put it in the tank and cover it over with shavings?also after he does'nt feed, how many days later do i try 2 feed him again?
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  22:47:06  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the heatmat should go in the bottom of the viv at one end with a thin layer of substrate over the top, MUST have a stat though.
i wouldn't try to feed any more frequently than every 5 days or he'll just get too stressed out to eat. also don't handle him at all until he's eating regularly.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  23:44:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as GP says...i also cover my heat mats with newspaper to help absorb any fluid(wee) the royal may pass...

Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  11:22:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, gonna buy a heat mat, but do i also have a light in there instead of my heat lamp and how long do i leave it on for? shall i just turn it off when i go 2 bed? or would i be better putting my viv in my laundry room which is much brighter as it is in the garage at the mo? and thanks 4 all your help everyone!
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  11:42:34  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
no,you dont need a lamp.Is your garage heated?Your laundry room sounds a much more cosyer place.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  13:00:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lamps are really for our pleasure...aslong as there is normall daylight in the room its fine...

i have mine on a timer so it has a little bit of light wen im sat in the room. aprox 7-9pm

Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  21:44:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, have bought a heat mat today, 7"x12". only bought a small one due 2 the size ive sectioned my viv off 2. will buy bigger when i open my viv bigger. have put 1 layer of newspaper over it and then a layer of aspen but it dont seem hot enough. temp is about 75-80. ive turned my thermostat up too as high as poss. any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  22:25:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you got a stat for the mat? dont even consider using it without one, the temps on those can very quickly reach 150.

That mat will do you for when he is big to, but you might consider going to infra red heat lamp with bulb guard or ceramics when he is older...

Also you only need to have the mat covering roughly a third of the area he is in.

Is that temp the hot or cold end>?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2009 :  22:36:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah its on a thermostat and covering roughly a third of the area. that 75-80 is the warm end, have got the thermostt turned up as high as poss but dont get no hotter than 75-80
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  21:03:53  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
you could always try newspaper as substrate to try and increase the temps your getting, sorry if you've posted the answer already but, what sort of thermometer are you using?

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Ninja
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  22:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question also, was the wood log you're using found outside? If so, did you take proper precautions before adding it to the viv ie: boiling? Just the first thing that popped into my head when seeing pics

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  22:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
u dont have to boil it, someone said something to me about it on here, something along the lines of peel/sand off the bark, spray with frontline or soak in a water/bleach solution then leave to dry completely in the sun (obv off the floor etc so mites dont just walk back on)
i think it was wohic that told me the frontline one the other day, but someone else did say something about it here :p
Go to Top of Page

Ninja
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  22:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MissCat

u dont have to boil it, someone said something to me about it on here, something along the lines of peel/sand off the bark, spray with frontline or soak in a water/bleach solution then leave to dry completely in the sun (obv off the floor etc so mites dont just walk back on)
i think it was wohic that told me the frontline one the other day, but someone else did say something about it here :p

Okay not boil, but I knew you couldn't just put it straight in viv, ty for correction

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  22:30:33  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
or you could bake it if you can fit it in the oven

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Ninja
Yearling

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  22:31:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mmmm, stick pie

Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  22:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just using the thermometer i bought from the pet shop, but it seems 2 work ok with my on/off thermostat as in the temp was always between 80 and 90f. but over night with the heat mat my temp dropped to about 65f so i have the heat mat on at the mo with just a red 60w bulb, both running off my on/off thermostat. have got newspaper above my heat mat as well, and then the aspen. sorry but no i didnt clean my log before putting it in.
Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  22:46:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as my heat mat aint getting hot enough, i am now gonna get a new thermostat. do i get the pulse or dimmer? how do they both work with the light, as in with a dimmer or pulse, does the light still flik on and off. if not, how do they work with the light?
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  23:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if you are gonna use a lamp it must be a dimmer stat its run off...

Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  16:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but if i use a dimmer stat, would'nt the light keep coming on and off again all day and night, which is like what i already have? so would the pulse be better as the ceramic heater does'nt give off light?
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  17:18:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a dimmer stat never switches off, just reduces the amount of power to the heat source. like a dimmer light switch you might have in your house.

a pulse stat does switch on/off but very frequntly to maintain a set temp. maybe 1 second on 1 second off.

a on/off stat works by being set to a certain temp...say 32*C. It will then heat up to approx 33*C and then switch completely off until maybe 29*C then switches on and heats to 33*C again. This may mean that the stat is on for 10 mins and off for 20 mins.

(all only rough guides to times and temps...)

have a read through this, it may help...

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=213

Edited by - dazb on 15/04/2009 17:20:03
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000