New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clunch
Hatchling

65 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  16:16:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey guys

when i brought my snake i got the starter set with came with a sliding mesh roof which you had to make a circular hole in to fit a heat bulb. i was also recomended to buy the type of bulb that gives off heat and light. my only concern is it doesnt have a gaurd and fitting a gaurd may be awkward due to the sliding roof. my snake hasnt had any accidents with the bulb as yet but if the situation is to dangerous i will have to make a change. any suggestions??

chris100575
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
743 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  16:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would definitely fit a guard. When I bought the viv setup there wasn't one and Princess seemed to ignore the bulb. However a few days after the guard was fitted I came home to find her curled round it. I don't know if she'd have done that with a bare bulb, but I'm glad it's covered now.

Chris

0.1.0 Royal Python - Princess
0.1.0 BCI - Feather
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  16:49:09  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Is it glass/plastic? - If so, swap to a heatmat if you cannot fit a guard, they are essential!

Go to Top of Page

clunch
Hatchling

65 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  17:05:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have 1 heat mat at the cooler end already but if its safer to remove the bulb and add a second im willing to do it. i think the bulb is glass but im not 100%.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  17:10:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I meant the enclosure rather than the bulb.

You probably won't need a heatmat at the cool end, just use it (on a stat) at the hot end.

Go to Top of Page

clunch
Hatchling

65 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  17:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh sorry. the viv is glass. ok how would you position it? on the back / side / or bottom?
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  18:06:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can get lamp holders for glass vivs that fit to the sides and n top...have a look at these

Exo-Terra Glass Vivarium Top
http://www.customguards.co.uk/our_products.html

cant find the other one im looking for...it was a spot light bracket that clipped over the side of a aquarium style glass viv

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2009 :  18:35:31  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clunch

oh sorry. the viv is glass. ok how would you position it? on the back / side / or bottom?

Go to Top of Page

clunch
Hatchling

65 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  08:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive got a solution for the mean time. ive changed the bulb to a reflector that just sits on top on the mesh so he cant come into contact with it.
Go to Top of Page

reptiles-ink
Yearling

United Kingdom
298 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  00:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can always make a custom guard that will house the holder and bulb, I can make it to fix to the lid or clip onto the side.

Plenty of Retics and Burms
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000