Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  21:39:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, i'm new 2 royal pythons and have had mine for about 3 wks and i still cant get him 2 eat. he is about 6 months old. bought him from a pet shop who said he was eating well, but when i asked there advice they said 2 force it on him, but i'm not at all comfortable with this. i have a 3ft viv which i have narrowed down to about 1ft wide x 18" deep with a heat lamp and thermostat. any help please as i am getting worried

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  21:47:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Korey. It is quite normal for a royal to skip a few feeds when moving to a new environment. It stresses them to go to a new place. Just make sure your temps and humidity are good and that they have proper hides. Don't handle him yet except for basic care until they start to feed. Also, check with the store to see if what they were feeding him is the same size and the same type of rodent that you are feeding. And this is the hard part... you kinda just have to wait it out a bit. Offer the food every 5 days. Leave it overnight if he doesn't take it immediately. Unless your royal starts to lose significant weight, force feeding should be avoided.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  21:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome...

first of all dont worry...at this time of year royals go off their food. mine hasnt eaten in about 10 weeks. keep weighing him/her and monitoring the weight. there is no need to force feed.

Wot food have you tried so far also if you could post some pics of you set up and tell us the temps at each end we can see if anything there is wrong but it sound like you on the right track with small viv, light and thermostat...

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  21:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just beat me to it anatess...

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2009 :  10:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great advice Anatess...

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  15:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  21:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks 4 replying. its about 6-9 months old and i'm trying 2 feed it on fluffies which is wot the shop told me it woz eating. have a couple of hides in there but not alot else yet but will get them. not 2 sure about the humidity though, not sure how 2 check it or wot 2 use 2 ajust it. again, any help would b welcome please?
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  22:52:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you post a pic of your set up...easyier for us to give advice...

Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  21:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cant seem 2 atach my picture, any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2009 :  22:24:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
save it to photobucket then copy and paste img code. its the bottom one of the 4 by the picture...

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4

Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  22:05:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

This is the link to a picture of the enclosure - have a look and any suggestions please let me know!

The enclosure is bigger but this is the part I've sectioned off. It's about 1ft wide by 18" deep. Fully open its about 3ft wide.

Thanks

Edited by - Blackecho on 08/04/2009 22:35:26
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2009 :  22:35:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tidied up the pic for you

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  08:37:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how are you heating the viv...?

wot temps do you have at each end...?(prob will be front and back in your case by the look of it.)

Edited by - dazb on 09/04/2009 08:37:45
Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  22:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there is a heat lamp at the top right side of the viv, with an on/off thermostat. light goes off when it reaches its heat, i used the same sort of thermostat with my king snake and had no problems.keep the temp towards that right side, try 2 keep it at about 85-90 there as i was adviced bot nothing at other end. also think i noticed a little redish mite on him, but not 100% sure
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  09:03:03  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mites are usually black, so it may be a bug off the wood or something.
Don't suppose you can take a picture of that?

The set up looks alright, so I would leave him to settle in a bit more. They do normally go off food after being moved. Are you doing regular weight checks?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  09:05:36  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
If you're using an on/off stat on a light with a Royal you could be stressing it out/p***ing it off with the constant on off light. Is this the same at night too?

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  10:57:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
like BE said a on/off thermostat shouldnt be used with lights. The constant on off will be driving it mad. it wont be able to get in to a routine. Everytime he thinks its nite time and pops out to hunt/explore the lightwill come on and will frighten him.

My advice is either buy a heat mat(£10ish) to use with that stat or a dimmer stat(£40ish) to use with the light.

Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  21:42:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i checked his weight last week, but hhynight but i do turn the thermostat down 2 between 73-77f. from what i'm reading, i should not b 2 worried, but when i try 2 feed him, he just shies away from the food like he's never eaten them before.
Go to Top of Page

koreybum
Hatchling

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  21:48:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
problem i had is that every pet shop i had i went 2 ask about this, they gave me different advice. some said use a dimmer, some use a heat mat and some use an on/off. as i already had an on/off, thought there would be no probs
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  22:02:54  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Pet shops can be terrible for advice, sorry.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  22:12:21  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i'd recommend reading the care sheet on here and ignore what the pet shops have told you!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000