Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  06:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, I've had my royal almost 2 weeks now. She refused her first feed and now her second last night too. I'm not too worried at the moment but im wondering when I should be.

Reason I ask is that she is only about 5-6 weeks old. She's had 3 feeds with the shop with her last on the 17th may. I weighed her the day after I got her and she was 80 grams. I've not really handled her since as I want her to settle in.

I've got some plants and 2 hides in her rub to try and make her feel at home.

Also, I go on holiday a week on Sunday and wouldn't like to leave my dad with too much stress.

When I try and feed her head is near the start of the hide but when the foods near she turns round almost as though she's scared of it? I leave it overnight and find it in touched in the morning.

So, any ideas or do you know when I should start to worry? For an adult I understand it's nothing at all but she's still a baby?

Thanks, Carl.

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  07:34:40  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mine is the same was trying him with rats which the girl in pet shop gave me when I picked Marty up but when he refused twice and seemed scared like yours is I went back to shop and the owner told me he was on mice so I'm going to try him on one today, are you feeding the same as the shop was?

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
0.1.0 Snow Cornsnake- Lumi
1.1.0 Hypo Sonoran Dwarf Boa-Bart and Maggie
0.1.0 Albino Pine Snake-Ruby
1.0.0 Bredli Python-Brian
1.0.0 Western Hognose-Hal
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
0.1.0 Honduran Milksnake-Jubbly
1.1.0 Salmon Boas-Hershey and Sam
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos-Spot and Chocolate
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
0.0.1 Pandinus Imperator/emperor scorpion
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  10:13:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah she was on fuzzies before and still is now. If she was older I wouldn't worry so much it's just I'm not sure how long they can go when they're this young.
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  10:36:38  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If she's had 3 feeds with the shop, i wouldn't worry too much... she is just taking her time to settle in.

I had a corn snake, that had never eaten when i got her, and didn't eat until she was 8 months old. Bear in mind that a corn has a lot less meat on their bones than a royal, so less fat reserves to use up.

It's very stressful for us when they don't eat, when they are so young and diddy! If you're on holiday for a week, I'd skip attempting to feed her (or getting your Dad to do it).

If she's not showing a lot of interest in her food, and shying away like you said i would say she's still settling in. What size RUB is she in? Something that can work is keeping the rub very covered up and dark (ie put the rub into a cardboard box or something, or cover the walls/lid and just leave one end or something like that). Again this is what helped my Betty (i know she's a corn but we can try!) as soon as she went into a rack where most of her RUB was covered, she ate... within less than 24 hours!

You're doing fine by the sounds of things, not handling her is the best thing (as disappointing as it is, bet you can't wait!)

Keep calm and carry on as they say! All the best :D

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  13:14:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not 100% on measurements (I'll check when I get home) but its roughly 18" across and about 8" back and maybe 6" high? That's inside a 3'x15"x15" viv.

I took the mouse away at 6ish this morning before work and I couldn't see her the I put a towel over the frog of her viv with just a few inches to let natural light in and her head was just popping out 5-10 mins later.
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  16:24:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My measurements were not far off apart from it going about a foot back not 8" like I originally thought.
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  17:50:47  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
cool, if in a few weeks she still hasn't shown any interest i'd maybe put her in something smaller... but i still reckon it's just down to settling in ;) Best of luck!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  17:55:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've since got her a smaller hide in the cool end as the one that was there she never used. I've changed from a green bulb to red and kept a towel over the viv. Now I see her head peeking out either hide much more and if I'm up early for work I sometimes catch her exploring if I peek behind the towel. I've got some plants in with her too to try and close it all in a little. Seems to be working so far, attempting another feed later, wish me luck :)
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  17:57:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck. Just chuck the rat in no fuss, see if that works

Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  18:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just had a peek past the towel and she has her head out the hide and did around half hour back. Reckon its worth just dropping it in and leaving her to it or still trying to get a strike?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  19:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She's a very nice size - my new lad was 6 months old at least on arrival and weighed 83g. She's certainly not going to fade away just yet.

As Bob says, I'd just put the rat in with her. Warm its nose in hot water or with a 30 second blast of the hairdryer first.

And good luck - fingers crossed!

Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  19:10:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try that out then, got it thawing out as we speak haha!

Thanks for all your advice and wishing me luck :)
Go to Top of Page

mattc142
Hatchling

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  19:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You could also try puting the prey in at night and just leave it there. Some of my snakes have been food shy and puting the mouse in at night has worked. If all else fails but could try braining the mouse ive also had luck with this method. Just cut the mouses head open to expose the brain. Just keep tryin youll get there. Good luck

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  06:12:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No luck. I just dropped it in and went to bed but it looks untouched.

Think I might have to try braining it and warning the head next time. Do I brain it while still frozen or when thawed?
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  09:59:42  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

No luck. I just dropped it in and went to bed but it looks untouched.

Think I might have to try braining it and warning the head next time. Do I brain it while still frozen or when thawed?

try just warming it first (if you haven't done that already) - my Chancho wont even look at food unless it's heads been blasted with a hairdryer til it's hot! He also doesn't drop feed... if he doesn't strike and have it there and then, he never bothers with it when left overnight.

Just try one different technique at a time, once a week tops. If in a few weeks and different weird techniques she shows no signs of change i'd give a smaller RUB a whirl... although i reckon she just needs a little time :) but some royals like to be cramped up from what i've seen lol

good luck!

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  10:50:37  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree I wouldn't worry about braining just yet royals are renound to be fussy eaters, how are you holding the prey I have found holding it at the scruff of the neck helped as well as a quick blast with the hair dryer,

I know how frustrating it can be to have a royal not feeding my albino is a very fussy eater will only eat in the pitch black will not strike.

Just keep an eye on the weight if this starts to drop then you need to start to worry

http://www.facebook.com/DannosRoyalPythons?ref=hl
Go to Top of Page

Foxysausage
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  11:15:56  Show Profile  Visit Foxysausage's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How much of a weight loss would you say is worrying time? Or is it any at all?

1.0.0 Royal - (King) Arthur
0.0.3 Corn - Chops
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  11:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A loss of 10/15% of the snake's original weight; also if you imagine an adult royal in cross-section, it should be Mars Bar shaped - rounded at the top, not Toblerone shaped; triangular. Hatchlings' backbones may tend to look a bit more prominent though; have noticed this with my young lad even though he eats well and is gaining weight.

Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  11:40:49  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
10% is when id to start to worry and begin trying things like braining but with how small he is I may reduce this slightly,

This is the order id be doing things in
Warming with hair dryer (now do this with all my food)
Try smaller prey or different prey
Braining

I've never needed to try the below but in sure I will
Live feeding
Assist feeding\ or vets to be assist fed

The bottom two for me are a last resort and hope I never need to.

As you know the snake fed before you got him I'm sure its just it needs more time to settle in
Don't try to feed it to often keep offering on feeding days.

I usually feed late at night and thaw the rats\mice out next to the vivs, when in heating them I open the vivs ever so slightly so they can smell the food 2/3 of mine will come out and look for the food at this point

This has taken me 2 years to find what works for mine even now I feel I should be trying more to get my albino to feed better but he has lost no weight so for now he keeps being offered and I try new things hoping it will work but inevitably he will feed when ready

Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  23:36:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, I go away for almost 2 weeks on Sunday morning, I've been trying a feed every 5 days do far.

My plan is to try a feed maybe in the early hours of Sunday morning, I'd prefer Sunday night but obviously I'll be away. So I'll try early Sunday morning, get the head end nice and hot with the hair dryer and hope she strikes. I'm thinking she might not be recognising it as food as its too cold so then she's becoming scare of it? Although her first three feeds were just thawed nothing else, and I would be surprised if they were strike feeds as the bloke must of had 15 royals to feed plus all the other stuff there so was most likely a drop feed?

But I'll try that and I I have no luck do you think it's worth getting my dad to try while I'm away? He won't mind at all but I'm wondering of a little break could do her good?

And I've been holding her by the base of the tail in the tweezers generally. Best to hold round the neck you think? I thought the tweezers could get in the way a little when she strikes?

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice, I really, really appreciate it!
Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  23:44:51  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
There is no harm in getting your dad to try imo. I'll take a picture in a min of how I hold the prey (it will be frozen so it won't be perfect but it will give you an idea and I'll explain my my reasons then

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000