Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  00:34:43  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
For some reason I can't copy the omg code but here is a link to the pictures
http://s1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/danno91/
The idea is the prey is as it would be if its alive so moving round at the correct level not hanging over the snakes head which in my small amount of experience can lead them to ball up or scare away

Hopefuly link works as I can't get on laptop to copy correct code I'll see if I can work out away of doing It from my phone

http://www.facebook.com/DannosRoyalPythons?ref=hl
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  11:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those pictures are useful, I'll try that. Next time I'm gonna warm the head with a hair dryer and see how we go
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  23:56:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just tried again.

Got the mouse out earlier and left it in the cool end to thaw (she's in a rub within the viv) and about an hour an half later put it under the lamp. She was right out her hides so I opened the glass and popped the lid off the rub, as I did she shot in her hide. Warmed the head with the hair dryer and it seemed as she smelt it she came out her hide. Held it as shown above close to the ground. She got closer and closer and her neck went to an s, my heart was nearly beating out my chest at this point. She struck so quick but didn't constrict, after a second or two she dropped it and retreated back to her hide and she's hidden her head. I've left it in there and will hope for the best.

Definitely progress though I just hope she thinks she killed it and will eat it?
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  09:25:06  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds good! wish you the best of luck Carl, keep us updated

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  12:51:05  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
aww bless, that's progress!

Seems that she's got it, just give her time to get over her 'nerves', warming the preys heads the way to go - no need for other methods yet :) Hopefully she eats it later on, now she's 'killed' it. Yay! Keep us updated!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

ppl_clectr
Yearling

Canada
226 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  13:20:23  Show Profile  Visit ppl_clectr's Homepage  Click to see ppl_clectr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I hold by the scruff and move the prey around. I also warm it in hot water til it feels warm to my touch. Sometimes I have even had to go back and rewarm. The blow dryer is a great idea, it also disseminates the rat smell, gets the snake interested before you even offer. I have ten snakes right now, and I don't drop feed anyone, each one is offered in tongs. No problems with anyone biting the metal yet. Did have the tongs get caught in coils once, and just waiting til she was done "killing" it.

SherriR
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  14:38:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She didn't take it through the night so in hoping next time she should strike and constrict properly. I wouldn't be surprised if its the first time she's ever strook so possibly scared herself a little lol? Hoping next time she'll have a little more confidence.

Only problem is I'm away for 10/11 days now so if she does my dad will see it not me haha! Least I got to see her strike though. So quick it's unreal!
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  15:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carl

Least I got to see her strike though. So quick it's unreal!

Wait 'till the day you lose your tongs and have to hand feed ^^

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

Danno91
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
521 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  19:03:21  Show Profile  Click to see Danno91's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Glad to there is some progress

http://www.facebook.com/DannosRoyalPythons?ref=hl
Go to Top of Page

Carl
Hatchling

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  15:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Result! Sorry I've not been on here much, I'm currently enjoying my holiday and 3G signal is almost non existent!

After brin on the phone to my dad for over half hour giving instructions last night (he likes every possibility covered) he fed her for me.

Left the mouse on top of the viv for a while, about an hour before he planned to feed he popped it under the heat lamp in the viv (she is in a rub inside the viv) and he said she was looking everywhere round the rub after it. He popped the lid off the rub and for the first time ever she started looking round the viv straight out of her rub. He warmed the head with the hair dryer while she was looking round and once he got her in a nice place offered the prey. She struck and my mom said she saw her constrict but only for a second. Then she ate the lot within a few minutes!

He then got her back in the rub and left her to it. So happy she's fed but disappointed I missed the first one but never mind :)

Thanks for all your help, you've all helped me keep calm about it. Carl
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  16:32:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great to hear that she's now eaten

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000