New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  08:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had Giant Snails now for years, and recently lost my third over this winter. So I only have one adult left called Hydie with two babies that I go as new friends for her 'cause I didn't want her being lonly.

In all the years I've kept them I've never, even once, been able to hatch their eggs. I have no idea why, I've tryed leaving them be and taking them out. Burrying them, digging them up, heating them up and cooling them down. Nothing had ever worked.

So my last adult has been awake for a few months now. I moved her and the babies into the living room (used to live in the kitchen) where they now live on the dresser. And just the other week she layed eggs. I was sure they would be infertile so I left them in the tank for everyone to eat if they fancied. I thought, if they don't eat them soon I'll take them out again. But sometimes they do and so do the Woodlice.

But yesterday, to my amazment, they'd all hatched! Lots of lovely, teeny tiny baby giants : 3

There's about twenty-ish, but I'm leaving them be for now for a few days till their shells have hardened properly. They're so cute and so tiny... I've never seen newly hatched ones before... they look like bits of gravel X )

I'm so pleased. I have a house full of babies this year!

Just me and my zoo.

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  11:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats! That's really cool!

I'm hoping my apple snails might breed - I've got 4 now (they're single sex so hoping there might be a breeding pair.)

You'll have to post some pics as soon as the babies become big enough to photograph.

Go to Top of Page

BlueDragon
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
876 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  10:24:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will, don't worry : D

Just me and my zoo.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly