New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  23:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hey all well i have stepped over to the dampside and have an 8 month old Argentine horned frog , unoriginally named Jabba!

My question is heatmat placement , i have read different repports that u should put them underneath on one side then i have read they should be stuck on the side of the tank level with the substrate . how do u keep yours ?
We got the tank free with him , but plan to change it next month .

He fed on three hoppers in the shop and we got to watch , apparently he LOVES his food!!

Any tips or advice keeping these grumpy little guys ?

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  00:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont use a heat mat, he sits on top of the Royal vivarium which strangely provided the exact temperatures required. The heat comes from below which is not ideal as they burrow to escape heat and end up hotter but Waka is doing just fine where he is. Welcome to the Phibby side lol. Oh and watch your fingers, they will try to eat anything waved in front of them. One thing you will want to do is give them plenty of depth in substrate, they love to dig down, I have about 4 inches deep but plan on switching to a deeper tub so I can give him some more depth.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  00:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and buy some nutrobal, you need to feed them dusted prey at least once a week and then calcium dust a few times a week, I feed Waka every other day unless he is hiding under the substrate, he comes up when he is hungry on a night.

Go to Top of Page

Laws
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  00:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he is currently just sitting , staring , planning , waiting . i think hes plotting to take over the world . the heat mat i have is a wee bit big to stick on the side at the min , so will need to get a smaller one if im to attatch it to the back . how do u go about picking waka up ? i hear their bites are painful haha!

www.facebook.com/Thehogbox

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  01:29:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You go from the back, lol. Picking them up seems quite easy in theory, I usually scoop Waka and a hand full of mud up at the same time. They do plot, I've just cleaned Waka out tonight, sat him in a tub surrounded by a few silk worms and a roach, it kept him busy hopping around eating everything, the roach ran towards him and I swear he just opened his mouth and let it run inside.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  01:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh and he wee'd on me! Sprayed out of him like a water canon

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: