Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Royal Python Posts
 General Posts
 Discussing this with Kelf, check this out!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  19:34:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.apa.org.uk/campaigns/handsOff.html

The APA campaign against the exotics trade.

They clearly have very little idea about what it is they are so dead against.

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  19:36:03  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's obvious they're against things that aren't cats lol

\v/ Click me for Kelfezond Reptiles Facebook Page! \v/
Go to Top of Page

ajokocha
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
816 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  19:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest I crossed it off my screen after the first sentence. 'Uneducated' and 'ignorant' spring to mind.

1.0.0 normal royal -Floyd
1.0.0 mojave royal - Smee
1.0.0 common boa - Brady
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  19:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No kelf, cats are plucked from the wild!!!

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  19:51:23  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's true ajok but those uneducated idiots are dealing a lot of damage to our hobby now :-(

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  19:54:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To explain the background to this conversation, the Doncaster show has been banned from selling any animals due to the busy body nature of the uneducated and misguided APA. Now I'm not the worlds biggest reptile show fan but this is a ridiculous thing to do.

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  19:57:06  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As somebody who hopes to breed on a bigger scale one day having the Doncaster show out of use means my potential market is cut by a lot. Not many people will travel to Portsmouth from up north for a snake but people from all over the uk come or rather came to Doncaster :-(

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  20:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm against any prejudice, bullying, name calling, game playing and nasty politics. However this isn't confined to the APA, disgusting as they are.

Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  20:30:31  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That is totally ridiculous how can they even say that about one group of pets/animals i think they must have forgot that some time in history dogs cats and all the other so called domesticated animals were once wild until someone thought they'd like to keep it as a pet and as for saying exotic animals are at risk of not being looked after properly and risk carrying disease what about all the stray cats and dogs roaming the country that have been abandoned and all the dog attacks that make the news will they eventually try and stop the pet trade altogether the majority of people that buy exotic research them before they do so they know the specific needs of the animal they want unlike someone seeing a cute puppy or kitten then impulse buying and when it gets too big or too much hard work for then they just abandon it. hopefully there campaign won't damage they trade and stop our hobby and ruin peoples lives who make a living in the business everyone should join there Facebook group and vent there opinion of these so called do gooders

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
0.1.0 Snow Cornsnake- Lumi
1.1.0 Hypo Sonoran Dwarf Boa-Bart and Maggie
0.1.0 Albino Pine Snake-Ruby
1.0.0 Bredli Python-Brian
1.0.0 Western Hognose-Hal
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
0.1.0 Honduran Milksnake-Jubbly
1.1.0 Salmon Boas-Hershey and Sam
0.2.0 Leopard Geckos-Spot and Chocolate
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
0.0.1 Pandinus Imperator/emperor scorpion
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
3326 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  20:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the doncaster show has not been banned from selling reptiles, the post/article from the APA is nonsense as they were not at the meeting to discuss the show between the relavant parties

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/858627-ihs-statement-re-breeders-meeting.html

1.0.0 burmese python,giblet. 1.0.0 BCI, william. 0.1.0 blue tongue skink, 0.1.0 green iguana, jasmin, 1.0.0 cape house snake, 0.1.0 checkered garter snake

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
incubate 2 campaign
https://www.facebook.com/incubate2
Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  20:39:07  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I don't think anyone is calling APA do gooders, more like terrorists. lol

But I wouldn't really recommend spamming their facebook, it happens all the time they just delete it - I doubt after 10'000 of them they're going to change their mind now. Although I like the way their facebook had like 350 likes, and yet it still seems to have had an effect on closing a show that pulled in thousands and thousands of customers.

Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  20:42:08  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope they don't stop the selling of exotics at these shows as im hoping to buy a royal morph at one of the shows

3.3.0 Royals,Yellow Belly -Marty,Fire YB-Fred,Mojave-Mo,Butter Pinstripe-Betty,Pewter-Newt,Normal-Molly
1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
Go to Top of Page

JanieW

United Kingdom
2279 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  21:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a mine field, and i'm surprised that Doncaster show had a legal ban placed.

The sad fact is on many of the issues raised on that link, there are many instances that they are right.
I know that everybody here, cares for their snakes well and understands their needs, but for every one of us there are half a dozen that don't.

Let me give just three examples that I have discovered in the last 6 weeks:

The petshop where all my snakes came from have a Green Anaconda..it was rescued as the original owner was unaware of the size of a young adult.
The same shop had an adult corn snake, that was found discarded in a dustbin on bin day.

My mother's carer used to have a baby corn snake, she went on holiday and blamed the pet sitter when it was found dead. All she had ever fed it was crickets.

I don't agree with the pet shows either that require animals whether, dogs, cats, birds or rodents to be displayed for hours on end.

Folk here if they don't already know how to care for their snake, ask for help, all are wanting to learn to do the bst for their new pet. Many on the outside don't, they buy a baby snake then discard when it becomes a nuisance, and that is just wrong.
By discard, I am not meaning those owners that seek a new home if they for reasons of their own can no longer offer the care needed, rather I refer to those that throw out their unwanted pet.

Unfortuately these cases are caused by ignorance at best, or cruelty and that needs to be stopped, just not sure how.

Anyway rant over :)

Peoples Of Middle Earth:
Bert (Staffy) , named after Tolkien's stone Troll
Popeye, African Grey
Gimli (Son Of Gloin), Baby Beardie
Slinky, Baby Royal Python
Fëanor..Baby Mexican Common Boa
Casper 2011 Male Ghost Corn Snake **RIP**
Hoard of Orcs (Dubia Roach Colony)
Pearl & Ivory--African Giant Albino Land Snails
Ra, Taiwanese Beauty Snake
Henry, Western Hognose *Missing*
Pippin, Coastal X Diamond Carpet Python
Elanor, Pastel Royal
Timmy, Western Hognose
Flake, Calico male royal, Eowyn, Arabesque Boa
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  21:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree better control of the pet trade (all the pet trade) needs to be put in place, not a ban on X Y or Z but licensing, accountability etc. It should be the irresponsible owners that carry the ban not the people selling them unless they too are guilty of neglect or cruelty. I would happily license all my animals, I already have to for my dog.

Go to Top of Page

mattc142
Hatchling

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  21:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i find this web site totaly discusting and they cannot know anything about reptiles as pets. oooooh they have my back up now lol ill be sending them an email belive me,

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

carlb1981
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  21:58:23  Show Profile  Visit carlb1981's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I'll definitely be joining the ihs to support them for fighting for our hobby

1.0.0 Kayuadi Retic-Kaa
1.4.0 Dune Geckos
0.1.0 Beardie-Cookie
0.3.7 Tarantulas
Go to Top of Page

mattc142
Hatchling

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  22:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ha ha ha ha i have just given them a rite grilling on face book and they have deleated me with out evern a little arguement. they cant stand hearing our oppinion because they know they are wrong this isnt the last time they will hear from me.lol belive

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  22:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Won't do you any good, you cant argue or reason with delusion. The annoying thing to me is if these people put their mind and resources into doing something good, something worth while they could maybe make a difference but they have chosen to fight a battle with people who are doing nothing wrong either morally or legally. Us herp keepers want to ensure the health, well being and safety of our animals, surely the reason these forums exist are exactly for that reason, Bats doesn't take a picture of a badly beaten snake, Kelf doesn't post another snuff movie, Janie does subject her snake to her feet but they like it. We all care, they need to understand that and that exotic animals are in the pet trade and like rabbits, gerbils and all the other hundreds, thousands of animals available their owners care and the odd exception of the odd cruel person does not mean we are all that way.

Edited by - Lotabob on 14/06/2012 22:03:54
Go to Top of Page

mattc142
Hatchling

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  22:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well said lotabob. i basicly said to them that people breed dogs to fight and you find kittens floating in rivers. and if they go to their local rspca they will only find a handfull of reptiles and thousands of dogs and cats and rabbits etc.yet us herp keepers are getting a grillin. but ay let em get on with it ill be getting more snakes if they like it or not they will have to prie them out of my dieing hands lol

Go to Top of Page

Kelfezond
The bearded one

United Kingdom
4803 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  22:32:47  Show Profile  Visit Kelfezond's Homepage  Click to see Kelfezond's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lotabob

Kelf doesn't post another snuff movie

Woah hold on there, don't be saying stuff you're not sure of ;)

Go to Top of Page

Evolution Morphs

United Kingdom
2265 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  22:45:37  Show Profile  Visit Evolution Morphs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Posted you know where

Chris Newman
Chairman Federation of British Herpetologists

Dear all,

As you are all know doubt aware a matter has arisen in respect of the IHS Breeders Meeting scheduled to take place this Sunday the 17th of June 2012. The information contained within the Animal Protection Agency Press Release dated the 12th of June is, as one would expect, not entirely accurate.

Notwithstanding this there are significant issues with the event, below is an exchange of correspondence between myself and the chief executive of Doncaster Cultural Leisure Trust who operate the venue which I believe are self explanatory.

The matter is now in the hands of our legal advisors and this will be in Court tomorrow [15th of June]. I shall post further information as it becomes available. If you are planning to attend the show on the Sunday then please watch this space for updates. Those attending in a formal capacity will be informed by phone of developments as soon as they are known.

The FBH Conference on the Saturday will not be affected.

Thank you for your continuing support.

Regards,
Chris Newman

Open Letter to:

Michael Hart, Chief Executive - Doncaster Cultural Leisure Trust
cc Jo Miller,Chief Executive - Doncaster Borough Council

Re: International Herpetological Breeders Meeting 17th of June 2012

Dear Michael,

Further to the discussions that took place at the meeting on the 12th of June and our subsequent telephone conversations, regrettably we cannot concede to your demands that no animals be sold on the day. As chairman of the Federation of British Herpetologists it is incumbent upon me to represent the best interests of the herpetological community.

The Breeders’ Meeting, at which breeders have always sold and exchanged surplus breeding stock, has taken place at the Dome since 2004. No changes in legislation have been enacted since that time other than the proposed removal of Section 2 of the Pet Animals Act 1951 under the Animal Welfare Act. As you know this proposed change in legislation would be welcomed by the FBH as it would permit such events to be licensed, a position also supported by Doncaster Borough Council in the past.

Doncaster Cultural Leisure Trust has entered into a binding contract with the International Herpetological Society to provide facilities for the Society to hold its Breeders’ Meeting on the 17th of June 2012, as it has for the past eight years, and there is no reason why this year’s event cannot proceed as it has previously. It is our understanding that these Breeders Meetings are fully compliant with the law and we are, therefore, unable to change the remit of the event in particular at such short notice. We believe it is unnecessary, unreasonable and disproportionate.

It would be easy for us to agree that no animals would be sold on the day and then to dishonour that commitment. But, unlike our opponents, we operate with the highest levels of integrity and such an action is ethically untenable. It is our firm belief that Breeders’ Meetings are fully compliant with the Pet Animals Act 1951 as amended. I would suggest this view is supported by Doncaster Borough Council who have approved the events over the past eight years and have even attended in an official capacity. In 2010 Doncaster Borough Council sought a barrister’s opinion on the matter and took no action having found no cause for legal or ethical complaint them.

The most logical course of action for all parties is for the event to take place normally and for the authorities take remedial action if they believe any transgressions of the law have taken place.

In our opinion it is patently clear from the meeting on the 12th that Doncaster Borough Council are endeavoring to make Doncaster Cultural Leisure Trust the scapegoats and close a lawful event simply because the Council have received criticism from a vocal minority. I am aware of the contractual issues between Doncaster Borough Council and Doncaster Cultural Leisure Trust, but I trust that all in authority would act with integrity and not seek punitive retribution should the Trust honor its legal commitments. This behavior would be entirely unethical.

If Doncaster Cultural Leisure Trust breaches its contract with the International Herpetological Society and cancels or alters the hire of the facilities for its Breeders’ Meeting on the 17th of June, we have no choice but to take immediate civil litigation to enforce the terms of the contract. We therefore require that you confirm in writing by no later than 15:00hrs today (14th June), the decision of Doncaster Cultural Leisure Trust in respect of this matter.

We fully appreciate and regret the pressure that you are under and we were not aware until Tuesday that you had received death threats for allowing the event to run in the past. Organisers and members from the International Herpetological Society have also been threatened and over the past ten years my own home has been attacked six times by fanatical Animal Rights Activists.

We cannot and should not, however, allow threats from a vocal minority to affect the thousands of people who enjoy these events and we must take whatever action is necessary to allow the IHS Breeders’ Meeting to take place this weekend.

Yours sincerely,

Chris Newman

14th June, 2012 @ 12:00hrs

cc Knights Solicitors
Rt. Hon Rosie Winterton MP, Doncaster Central
Rt. Hon Ed Miliband MP, Doncaster North
Rt. Hon Caroline Flint MP, Don Valley
Peter Davies, Mayor of Doncaster

now on facebook

Royal Pythons
http://www.facebook.com/EvolutionMorphs