New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ClaireJohnston
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  20:55:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would be the best snake if any (preferably one that wont grow as big) for us to put in the same Viv with our Royal Python who is currently only 5 wks old.

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  21:12:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Claire and welcome to the forum.

Your royal is a solitary creature, like most snakes, and needs to be housed alone. I know how you feel - when I started keeping snakes I wondered if they needed company as mammals do, an I've an open mind about cohabbing some species of snakes, but believe me royals are solitary snakes apart from when being coupled in the breeding season.

Your young royal will be happy by itself; if you want another snake (and so do we all lol - I'm up to no 15) there's nothing wrong with that, but it will be better off in its own enclosure.

Go to Top of Page

ClaireJohnston
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  21:16:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thanx for the advice
Go to Top of Page

ClaireJohnston
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  21:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What would you recommend for the Viv to make it more exciting and attractive for the snake to explore, as at present he has a pice of beach wood for hiding and his water bowl.
Go to Top of Page

mattc142
Hatchling

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  21:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i also agree with burnedatthestake royals really dont like other snakes around them 24,7. breeding only. corns and garters are the only species i now that will cohab with no fuss.i know this from my own exsperiance. they really do like their own company. i would risk the health of your snakes trying.

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

mattc142
Hatchling

United Kingdom
95 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  21:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wouldnt i meant .....sorry

[URL=http://www.mybannermaker.com][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  21:25:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A climbing branch - for a young royal this need only be a length of the flexible reptile vine doubled and twisted and attached to the viv walls with screw eyes (I like these because they have no sharp edges, just tie the branch securely to the screw eyes with thick string.)

Plastic foliage provides more cover - and for hides, no need for anything fancy. Kitchen roll inners or tape free food boxes such as breadstick boxes. Not terribly picturesque but free and disposable when the snake makes a mess in them, and somehow young royals seem to LOVE cramming their fat backsides into cardboard tubes. Save your money to buy posh permanent hides when the royal is bigger lol. I like the exoterra and trixie hides from Surrey pet supplies and the cork bark too.

Go to Top of Page

ClaireJohnston
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  21:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

7384 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  21:41:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome - meant to say, give the snake as many hides as poss - even my adults like 3 at least. A happy royal is one that can wander round its viv without having to come out into the open - they are secretive little gits lol.

Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  22:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah if it looks pretty to you, and gives the snake plenty of places to hide then you cant go wrong. Dunelm mill do loads of fake foliage, looks great and is relatively cheap.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000