New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  19:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi people, just want to sing the praises of this substrate. I switched last week and I just dont know how I got on before it.

Spot did what he does and the substrate clumps round it, so spot cleaning is so easy.

It smells absolutely fantastic.

Its really cheap.

Its not one for holding humidity but as a rule substrate should be dry.

So yeah 28kg bag of a very light substrate (AKA Get loads for that weight) and with delivery only came to £10.59, get quick delivery even over the bank holiday when I ordered it they managed to get it to me in 2 working days.

http://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/products/equine/bedding/wood-pulp-pellets/megazorb-horse-bedding.html

You can all thank me for this tip later lol.

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  19:16:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just looks like gravel but its soft.

Go to Top of Page

Fezza
Fully Grown Royal

United Kingdom
1063 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  19:21:21  Show Profile  Visit Fezza's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never heard of it

How long have you been using it for now?

Does look good value for money at that price

1.0.0 normal royal
1.0.0 mojave royal
1.0.0 pastel enchi royal
0.1.0 cinnamon royal
0.1.0 pewter royal
0.1.0 genetic stripe royal
0.1.0 lesser goblin royal
0.1.0 phantom royal
0.1.0 Columbian rainbow boa
0.0.1 aru x jaya GTP
0.1.0 bredli
1.0.0 trans pecos rat snake
1.0.0 fat black cat
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  19:28:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've only had it a week but it appears popular amongst the corn snake people of TCS. Its amazing value and just the nicest substrate I've had both for its looks and its so soft too, my house snake moves through it like a dolphin swims, its so funny to watch him playing/burrowing. My corn seemed to like it too but he has gone to ground now as he is shedding.

Go to Top of Page

Dixon
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  09:14:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sounds very interesting and I have read the link above. The link says it is the bi-product of wood pulp used in paper making and I wonder what wood or woods are used as I know that pine, for example, is a big no no with snakes. Is this a concern or am I just being over protective?
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  11:24:39  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it's brilliant stuff isn't it!? Love how it looks like gravel but it's soft, my snakes love it!

Dixon - i researched into it thoroughly before buying mine ages ago and lots of snake keepers do use it without problems, so i assume no pine is involved. I think pine is a no-no for some other animals so not many general substrates have pine in. Either way i've been using it since October last year and everyone's happy and healthy :D... 3 snakes (including 2 corns that i chuck loads in for as they love burrowing) and i still have over half a bag left!

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

Dixon
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  12:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info mystra and from the amount of people I see are using it I guess you are right. My other concern is an article I read on another forum when doing a search about it where a piece was found in a dead snakes windpipe, the link is below if anyone is interested..............

http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co.uk/ball-royal-pythons/56414-devastated.html

There is no proof it was the cause of death but may be worth bring to people's attention so they can make an informed decision.
Go to Top of Page

mystra
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
590 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  17:35:46  Show Profile  Visit mystra's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dixon

Thanks for the info mystra and from the amount of people I see are using it I guess you are right. My other concern is an article I read on another forum when doing a search about it where a piece was found in a dead snakes windpipe, the link is below if anyone is interested..............

http://www.captivebredreptileforums.co.uk/ball-royal-pythons/56414-devastated.html

There is no proof it was the cause of death but may be worth bring to people's attention so they can make an informed decision.

Unfortunately things like that can happen with any substrate. I don't wrap my snakes in cotton wool as they are older now and tough cookies... so yes they've probably eaten the odd bit of megazorb (and aspen in the past)I feed the 2 corns out of the vivs anyway, Chancho the royal likes to 'stay at home' in his RUB to eat, and deliberates over his dinner forever - which usually means Mr Rat gets a bit of megzorb stuck on him. and it's caused no issue.

Even in a much more delicate baby snake the substrate killing it by actually getting lodged in the windpipe is pretty unusual... i've only ever known substrate to cause harm when eaten and causing impaction. Poor thing.

I do try and put paper down sometimes for Chancho at dinner time... but he decides to burrow under it anyway dragging dinner with him and getting it covered in megazorb... i can't win!

In terms of impaction i don't think megazorb is any more or less dangerous than any other 'loose' substrate for snakes. I know it absorbs (and that's what caused the windpipe to dry out) a piece of aspen can be sharp enough to spike through the windpipe, a big chunk of bark could just block it and suffocate it. As owners we just make informed choices and do our best to avoid harm.

:)

0.0.1 Carolina Corn Snake- Sanchez
0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake- Betty
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python - Chancho

SE London - Canada Water
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
5008 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2012 :  18:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I think the piece in the wind pipe is a freak accident rather than an actual danger to the snake, they rarely open their mouth's to breath. In water/fluid the pulp does expand but it goes really soft too and breaks up so ingestion is probably nothing much to worry about at all. As for pine worries, the wood in pulp is stripped of its resin and pulped, its pine resin that is toxic when heated to reptiles so even if it was pine once, its far removed from the tree it once was.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000