First feed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  21:49:23  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
I think my boy is settling in well. Tonight his little face is peering out of his warm hide and he is due a feed tomorrow apparently although i wasnt going to feed him as i only got him Friday so was going to leave it a couple of weeks ... but with his little face looking out at me i might give it a try although how the hell he is going to eat a medium rat is beyond me, lol

Been reading lots of tips so fairly confident

Ant.

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  22:11:17  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
I would leave it at least until friday,a couple more days can make all the differance

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2009 :  23:25:05  Show Profile
yeah i would leave him too... he may be just feeling confident enough to pop is head out. A little longer wont harm him at all...

Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  06:26:48  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address
Leave it a week, just to be on the safe side.

0.2.0 Cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royals (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Hogan, Shaggy, Sparkle, Tango, Fred, Haribo & Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 Fish
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  06:45:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
As above I'm afraid,you don't want to upset him.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  10:10:26  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
he's only just got the confidence to poke his head out,he would be out roaming if he was settled and hungry.I know it's hard not to,but it's worth it in the end.

Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2009 :  21:09:48  Show Profile
I think we have all been there and it is just a question of being patient.
I must agree that the first feed is awesome.

Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2009 :  08:28:54  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
Ok thanks peeps and apologies for the delay. I have a rather nasty inner ear infection so not been online since i posted this. He will have to wait now coz im not going out to buy a rat, lol. the joys of owning a snake. Thank god ive got cat food in for the cat, lol

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2009 :  17:53:45  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
Right all tonight is the night. A rat has been brought and is currently defrosting along with a pinkie for my beardie (dont shoot me, she is popping eggs out all over the place and needs the calcium)

I got him on the understanding he was an excellent feeder on medium rats BUT i checked these out and they were MASSIVE! So being the whimp i am and as its his first feed with me i opted for a small rat. Having kept them as pets i would say it was about 8 weeks old! Black and white ... does that make a difference? Time will tell

He has settled so well and last night before bed he was actively looking round his RUB so i take this as a good sign and plant o give him his rat in a couple of hours!

any further tips? Im planning to feed in the RUB using tongs!

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2009 :  18:26:26  Show Profile
Hi, well I have heard that some Royals can be very picky about the colour of a rat and one of the staff at South Coast Exotics where I get my rats from, told me that one of his customers Royals would only eat female rats.

Grace eats mainly white`s, but has eaten ones that have very light brown heads.

They can be so fussy

Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2009 :  22:07:19  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
Was not interested at all .... then i slipped with the tongs and took half its fur off the side ... i dont think color has anything to do with it ... he flew and now the rats eaten, hide is back in and he is well and truely covered up ... sleeping on the sofa tonight, cant risk going back in the bedroom

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2009 :  23:15:03  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
well done,glad it all went ok.Now go and get your head down.

Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2009 :  23:22:30  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
Cheers Lee, glad someone is awake
Slept a couple of hours this arvo (ear infection, tablets knock me out)so awake now.

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2009 :  23:31:43  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
congrats on the feed

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2009 :  23:31:54  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address
Chances are it's coincedence about the colour of Roland, well done on the feed.

0.0.20 Fish
Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2009 :  20:06:29  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
Obran ate Saturday and as i said previously he had a small rat no problem. I was told he ate medium rats when i got him but they seemed so BIG! He is now out and about again ...... could he be hungry again so soon? To be honest the rat hardl made a bump in his stomach, lol

Any suggestions will be appreciated

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

antw23uk
Yearling

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2009 :  22:12:07  Show Profile  Click to see antw23uk's MSN Messenger address
Anyone??

Ant.
Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2009 :  23:01:33  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by antw23uk

Obran ate Saturday and as i said previously he had a small rat no problem. I was told he ate medium rats when i got him but they seemed so BIG! He is now out and about again ...... could he be hungry again so soon? To be honest the rat hardl made a bump in his stomach, lol

Any suggestions will be appreciated

to be honest, i'd rather get him settled eating & then increase the size of his food. Just an opinion???

0.0.20 Fish
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000