Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

dazza
Yearling

United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  13:52:33  Show Profile  Click to see dazza's MSN Messenger address
what is a pythons fave food? my royal is on large mice but have read somewhere that they prefer rats as they have a more nutritional value for the python! just wondered what everyone feeds theirs

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  14:04:34  Show Profile
Rats for sure, though if i could i would go for multi mammates purely because they originate from Africa and the fur is softer etc etc...

when i got peanut he was on mouse fluffs, but i switched him within a couple of weeks to rat pups and there has been no looking back accept for when he had an RI...but now he is sits waiting for them..lol..

and yes they are better, especially when they are bigger

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

dazza
Yearling

United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  14:05:58  Show Profile  Click to see dazza's MSN Messenger address
ok, so the equivalent of a large mouse would be a rat weaner i presume then?

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  14:12:25  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Evra likes mice, white ones that are really warm and bleeding a little.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  14:37:12  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Pot Noodle preferable chicken and mushroom but will tolerate original spicy at a push.

Rats normally but if he refuses then an extra large mouse that looks like it has been in a bar fight. He just can't resist those.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  15:52:16  Show Profile
rats are suggested as the way to go because 1 rat is suffiecient for a adult royal. they can be very fussy eaters as we all know, thats why it is advised to get them on to rats as soon as poss...If you think of how hard it is to get them to eat one meal, imagine trying to get the to eat multiple items in one sitting...

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  16:06:18  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
mine prefers mice but i do feed him rats,he tends to prefer the ones with bloody nose,strange that! why do some have bloody noses?

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  16:09:59  Show Profile
think its to do with the way they are PTS...

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  16:21:28  Show Profile
i was litterally just about to come on and ask the same question! i had to buy mice today as my local shop doesnt sell the ratty sized equivalent, so until i find somewhere that does, i'm afraid it mice for ra
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  16:23:44  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
I usually give the rats' noses a good old flick when they are defrosted and then heat them head down in a plastic freezer bag in hot water. Makes them get a good nose bleed on.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  16:36:10  Show Profile
do you know what i do..

I warm the rat up, then i open the viv doors, and use the hair dryer..lol..by the time its head is well warm Peanut is on his way...as soon as he smells dinner he is alert....lol..

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  16:43:18  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Me too. The tub of hot water goes on a stool in front of their vivs while their dinner is heating up.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  17:04:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Rats asap for me.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  17:05:19  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

I usually give the rats' noses a good old flick. Makes them get a good nose bleed on.

And thats just for fun,nothing to do with feeding,pick on something your own size

Edited by - lee2308 on 10/04/2009 17:08:08
Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  17:42:09  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage
I will always try to start Royals on rats, simply because they are a better meal than mice. That and the fact that every royal I have had has popped mice, never had a popped rat before.

I will drop back to mice should the snake point blank refuse, but then its rats in mice jackets ;)

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  18:25:03  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
ONLY medium white mice for Queenie, fussy bugger!

i keep trying to convert him to rats though as it's much easier in the long run.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos

Edited by - Gingerpony on 10/04/2009 21:03:49
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  18:55:00  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
would he take a small mouse as a starter then follow with a rat,thats what i did last week to get monty eating again as he went off rats.

Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  20:58:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

do you know what i do..

I warm the rat up, then i open the viv doors, and use the hair dryer..lol..by the time its head is well warm Peanut is on his way...as soon as he smells dinner he is alert....lol..

i read that u did that in another thread, so now i defrost it ontop of the viv, then do what you do... it soon wakes him up :D
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  20:59:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by karl

I will always try to start Royals on rats, simply because they are a better meal than mice. That and the fact that every royal I have had has popped mice, never had a popped rat before.

I will drop back to mice should the snake point blank refuse, but then its rats in mice jackets ;)

sorry for being dim, what do you mean by popping mice? is it litterally that the mouse pops.... or something entirely different?

Edited by - MissCat on 10/04/2009 21:00:20
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  21:03:11  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by lee2308

would he take a small mouse as a starter then follow with a rat?

nope, he won't take more than one item per feed, he broke that rule once and once only, but that was after a period of fasting.
it's how i got Marilyn the Dumerils feeding on rats though, she still has an ex-breeder (giant) mouse starter then a rat or two for her main course

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2009 :  21:04:25  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
and yes MissCat, it's a bit yukky!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000