new
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leeoc1982
Snake Mite

2 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2009 :  22:10:11  Show Profile
rite i alredy hav a viv measuring 45"l 26"h 21"d, i wolud like to house a royal p in this tank if it is suitable. if u agree what would be the best set up as there seems to be differences in opinion. as always, i encountered this with my bd dragons which i have keept for 2 years.

under tank heating or on the side or back ect,
uv or energy saving light bulb ect.

i have been advised by a p shop but as ive already said im not agreeing with what ive heard else were!

the best please, if ure gona do it ect!!!!

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2009 :  22:29:17  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by leeoc1982

rite i alredy hav a viv measuring 45"l 26"h 21"d, i wolud like to house a royal p in this tank if it is suitable. if u agree what would be the best set up as there seems to be differences in opinion. as always, i encountered this with my bd dragons which i have keept for 2 years.

under tank heating or on the side or back ect,
uv or energy saving light bulb ect.

i have been advised by a p shop but as ive already said im not agreeing with what ive heard else were!

the best please, if ure gona do it ect!!!!

Depends on how old the royal is, a rule of thumb is width x depth should be the length of the snake, as for heating I use a red heat bulb as it heats the viv & gives enough light to see sofia at night, although i've got a ceramic bulb to upgrade to.

0.2.0 Cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royals (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Hogan, Shaggy, Sparkle, Tango, Fred, Haribo & Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 Fish

Edited by - Dazzetski on 28/04/2009 06:11:40
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2009 :  22:30:16  Show Profile
what age royal are you getting?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  06:22:33  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
That sounds like a massive viv for a Royal unless its a large adult.

I use IR heat bulbs for mine, there is no need for UV.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  19:55:15  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
heya and welcome
ok here goes.............
1. that size viv is suitable for an adult, unlike beardies they don't appreciate a lot of space and can get stressy. a hatchling or juvenile needs a lot less space, use 'length of viv + depth of viv = length of snake' as a guide to sizing.
2. using a heatmat on the floor is fine for a young royal (providing it is on a thermostat), putting a mat on the side or back of the viv is a complete waste of time! as royals grow and get heavier-bodied (as juveniles and adults) it's better to go for bulbs as they can absorb this kind of heat more effectively.
3. lighting is purely for our benefit, avoid tubes as the constant flickering can upset them, avoid UV as the last thing a nocturnal snake needs is UV, so either a red bulb or energy saving (with guard) the choice is yours

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

leeoc1982
Snake Mite

2 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  20:45:45  Show Profile
thanks for your time guys!

the tank was used for my uromastyx which were alot of work so they were returned to there previous owner.

so you dont think the viv would be to big for an adult?

the snake i have seen is a 2007 so not fully grow and would have to be keept in one of them plastic tubs for a while.

so a heat mat for a juv and ceramics for an adults?

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2009 :  22:30:54  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
ceramic for either really, but you can get away with a mat for youngsters.
it's still a considerably sized viv for an adult although if you pad it out foliage, hides, branches, bark etc i'm sure it would be ok. definitely too big for an 07 though, have you thought about putting a temperary divider in? and you could use the other side for another rep (if it's secure) or equipment storage

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000