New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spuddastu
Yearling

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  20:19:43  Show Profile
would u say that a heat mat is best or heat lamp as im getting my royal next week and want to set it up ready, thanx.

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  21:02:57  Show Profile
What set up are you going for?
It mostly comes down to personal preference and price, which ever one you're go for make sure you get the appropriate thermostat, there is a sticky that will help. If you go for the lamp it will have to be guarded to prevent contact. The mat will tend to heat the base substrate but wont raise the ambient temp much. The lamp will heat the air and furnashings raising the ambient temp. The lamp will also light the enclosure but may not be so appropriate at night.

For my viv i use the habistat radiator for the day and a heatmat for the night. The radiator is controlled by a pulse proportional thermostat and the heatmat by the mat stat. The radiator is set to 32c and the heatmat 28c on the warm side. The radiator is set to a timer and turns off at night, when the temp drops below 28c the heat mat kicks in a sustains the temp until the radiator comes on and raise the temps again, cutting out the heatmat. The radiator simulates the sun's heat and the mat mimics the way the ground stores the sun's heat overnight.

Everyone does it differently and there isn't really a right or a wrong way as long as the temps are achieved and controlled safely. Hope that helps.

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 03/05/2009 21:20:36
Go to Top of Page

spuddastu
Yearling

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  21:20:34  Show Profile
yes helps alot thanx, i have already got the heat light as i have had lizards so think will start with that and see how i go, thanx again.

Go to Top of Page

ddm10
Yearling

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  21:23:41  Show Profile
The heat light will be fine as long as its guarded and controlled by a thermostat, especially as your used to it already. Good luck with getting everything set up

ROYAL PYTHON 1.0.0

Edited by - ddm10 on 03/05/2009 21:23:51
Go to Top of Page

spuddastu
Yearling

United Kingdom
112 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  21:31:37  Show Profile
thanx carnt wait now as ive wanted one for ages and only just got round my wife as she dont like snakes lol, realy excited now will put pic on wen i get him

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  22:17:20  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
I use a infrared lamp for mine which is better for bigger bodied snakes and they dont really notice infrared,a mat is ok for young royals but as they get heavier they really need lamps or ceramics

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  23:06:03  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address
heat lamps all the way for me. They work & sofia's ok with them.

0.2.0 Cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royals (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Hogan, Shaggy, Sparkle, Tango, Fred, Haribo & Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 Fish
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000