New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

trio
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  09:13:07  Show Profile
Good morning, Monty has had his first shed. As i expected it's come away in pieces. I've been keeping up with info on the forum so i knew this was likely. What do you advise i do about the remaining skin he still has to shed. Also does shedding make them a bit jumpy, my son went to get the bits of skin out and Monty went to strike at him. Or do you think it could because it's usually me that goes into him as he hasn't done this to me before?

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  09:22:30  Show Profile
it maybe just that he is still shedding...i would keep the humidity up and see if he can try and get the rest off himself. As for being jumpy it may cos he is still in shed...

Go to Top of Page

dazza
Yearling

United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  09:39:45  Show Profile  Click to see dazza's MSN Messenger address
royals eyesight aint the best at anytime, but when in shed its worse so any movement by the snake is liable to freak it out, like daz said keep the humidity up and place something rough in the viv to rub up against if not one in there already, my first toyal had a bad shed so i bathed her and just let her slither over a towel, done the trick

Go to Top of Page

trio
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  16:00:41  Show Profile
Thanks, he's got a vine thing in his viv which is what the shed bits were stuck to. So i'll do what you suggest and see how he gets on. How long should i leave it before i intervene?
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  16:18:45  Show Profile
has he got a moss box?
for this i thoroughly clean a margerine tub cut a hole in the side making sure there are no sharp edges, add some spagnum moss that has been prepared by soaking in boiling water, squeeze out the excess water, add it the the moss box, and place the moss box in the middle between the warm an cold end, it may help to remove other hides to encourage him to use the moss box.
You could also run him a bath that is warm, test the water temps as you would for a baby, let him soak for about fifteen minutes. Then run him through a warm damp towel after.
also a bit of cork bark is good to help shedding, but soak it in boiling kettle water before use to kill any bugs, and allow to dry before adding to viv.

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 10/05/2009 16:23:57
Go to Top of Page

dazza
Yearling

United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  17:17:38  Show Profile  Click to see dazza's MSN Messenger address
well said wolfie

Go to Top of Page

trio
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  12:05:30  Show Profile
Quick update on Monty's shedding.
He did have moss box but he pref warm hide. On your suggestion took warm hide out. (felt bit mean though!) Anyhow, all body now off just his head left.
Would a bath help this, if so how do you bath a snake..new experience for me this one! Step by step guide would be great if not too much of a pain.
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  14:23:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by trio

Quick update on Monty's shedding.
He did have moss box but he pref warm hide. On your suggestion took warm hide out. (felt bit mean though!) Anyhow, all body now off just his head left.
Would a bath help this, if so how do you bath a snake..new experience for me this one! Step by step guide would be great if not too much of a pain.

Did he use the moss box and was it damp?

you could leave the moss box in there for another couple of days..it wont hurt him..

just make sure it is in between the warm and cold end...so he does not get cold.

yes you could use a bath...but make sure it is not to hot...test it with your elbow, baby warm...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

dazza
Yearling

United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  15:47:16  Show Profile  Click to see dazza's MSN Messenger address
ju st fill the bath, or a washing up bowl with warm water, about the same temp as inside the viv, your not after gallons of water, probably just enough so its halfway up the thickest part of the body, thats what i did anyway

Go to Top of Page

trio
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  16:24:16  Show Profile
okey cokey. Thanks very much, i'll give all that a try.
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  19:58:57  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

you could leave the moss box in there for another couple of days..it wont hurt him..just make sure it is in between the warm and cold end...so he does not get cold.

or you could put 2 damp hides in, one hot end one cold end..?

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  22:19:59  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

you could leave the moss box in there for another couple of days..it wont hurt him..just make sure it is in between the warm and cold end...so he does not get cold.

or you could put 2 damp hides in, one hot end one cold end..?

Great advice GP;-)

I dont like baths i think it can stress them out to much....

-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 11/05/2009 22:20:49
Go to Top of Page

dazza
Yearling

United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  23:00:28  Show Profile  Click to see dazza's MSN Messenger address
let us know how you get on anyway trio

Go to Top of Page

trio
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  19:51:43  Show Profile
He's mostly shed all that was left was his head like a mask. I let him run through a warm wet towel and gently rubbed with a wet cotton bud and some more came off. All that's left is a small patch over his eyes down to his nose.
I fed him, hoping this would help shift it. He fed well but the skin was still there. That was wednesday, not been near him since feeding. Will have another look tomorrow but might have to go for the bath thing to get this last bit off.
Go to Top of Page

aimee87
Hatchling

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  23:17:41  Show Profile
its quite important that the skin over the eyes comes off, this is why he might be a little jumpy, the royals see through heat and the scales covering there eyes will make it harder for them to see, meaning they will be jumpy, if you can, try and get the skin on the eyes of, mine had retained the eye caps last time he shed and it was a bugger to try and get them off lol. its not too much of a big thing if they stay on for a while but it can stress them ot becase they can see clearly and it can also cause eye infections, but im sure hell be ok :)
hope this helps

My Pets:
1.0.0 Royal Pythons-Kiros
0.2.0 leaopard geckos- bella and spot
1.0.0 german giant bearded dragon- frankie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000