Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2009 :  22:24:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Matty's right about the gas supply, you couldn't accurately control the dose with that method.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2009 :  22:59:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Matty's right about the gas supply, you couldn't accurately control the dose with that method.

might be better then to let the snake do it...and just feed live...i dont have to watch it all...

but one thing about live food...

if the mouse is still alive when the snake is eating it head first, does it then die quickly or can it damage the insides of a snake?

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2009 :  23:09:04  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
the prey item should be dead or at least unconscious after the snake's constricted it, so there shouldn't be any injury to the snake.

not sure how much scope there is for all that thoeory to fall flat on its face though!!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2009 :  23:11:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

the prey item should be dead or at least unconscious after the snake's constricted it, so there shouldn't be any injury to the snake.

not sure how much scope there is for all that thoeory to fall flat on its face though!!

Ali, i watched a bit of a video on youtube and the mouse was still wriggling its legs in its mouth, it had gone down head first.

i dont think i can do this killing stuff, Kaz is going to have to..

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2009 :  23:34:36  Show Profile
Ayayay... royals won't stop constricting until the thing has no more heartbeat. Unconscious doesn't quite cut it either.

My hognose on the other hand chews on the poor ratty until his venom starts to work which is a loooonnnngggg time and the rat is already halfway in. This is why I don't feed him live anymore. I did it only one time and never again!

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2009 :  23:43:27  Show Profile
Anatess

i posted somewhere in here about a cage i have in my shed, it is big but has a solid plastic base, how likely would multis be to chew out?

if i can find the post i will link it for you so you can see it...

and how do you know how much C02 to use?

-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 25/05/2009 23:45:06
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  21:20:28  Show Profile
Anne, if you cant kill it how comfortable will you be touching it while the snake is contsricting? If it falls into a position where is can bite the snake you will have to stop it.

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  21:48:40  Show Profile
Anne, my friend has his multis on sterilite tubs. Not sure if they sell those in the UK. But, I think it is similar to a Rub. So, yes, it can stay in a plastic bin as long as there are no potruding parts they can get their teeth on - like the Rubbermaid has the little ledge where the handle goes on that can be a potential tooth-hold.

Here's a sample of a sterilite tub set-up (by littleindiangirl of bp.net):

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal

Edited by - anatess on 26/05/2009 21:52:25
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  22:09:35  Show Profile
Royals are pretty efficient predators.

Most dangers of live feeding occurs when the royal is not interested in eating and the rat gets aggressive. The rat starts to take nips at the royal and the royal just curls into a ball! At this time, the rat needs to be removed immediately.

But, there are times when the royal misses the back of the head and get a leg or something leaving the rat free to bite. A lot of times, the constricting would trap the head immobile within the coils. But there are times when the rat gets in a position to sink a tooth in. You will have to stick one end of a tong between the rat's teeth and the snake's body. This happened to us twice already with our spider royal. He's the only "not very accurate" royal. The pastel and the albino are both very careful with their strike whereas the spider would strike without properly "scoping out" the rat (very impatient!). In any case, with live feeding, you have to be really observant. You can't go to the loo - not even for 1 minute - with a rat in the viv!

It's really interesting to see the differences in temperament with the royals. Each and every one of our 3 royals have their distinct personality!

So hey, you like my use of the word loo? That's a british word, right?

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  22:14:07  Show Profile
what about live feeding Multis?

they are more bitey than rats arent they?

are they more of a risk?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  22:41:11  Show Profile
I've never fed regular rats. So, I don't know how they are are compared to multis. My experience is only with multis. And from my experience, the breeder group are the bitey ones. The rest are jolly good fellows.

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  22:49:25  Show Profile
when you say breeder group are you talking like the mums and the dad and the babies are the ones you feed to the snakes?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2009 :  23:51:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

Anne, if you cant kill it how comfortable will you be touching it while the snake is contsricting? If it falls into a position where is can bite the snake you will have to stop it.

if the snake is killing it, then that is fine, it is not me physically doing it, and if it was going to hurt one of my snakes then i would do something...have no fear of that...

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  00:04:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

when you say breeder group are you talking like the mums and the dad and the babies are the ones you feed to the snakes?

Yeah, the mum and dad are the aggressive ones.

The ones that never had babies are not bad.

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  00:18:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by anatess

quote:
Originally posted by wolfspirit

Yeah, the mum and dad are the aggressive ones.

The ones that never had babies are not bad.

ok, thanks...

how do you know how much C02 to use?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  20:46:48  Show Profile
I've found 2 squirts of the keyboard cleaner is enough for one rat in the bag. He goes to sleep in about 3 seconds which is good. Then keeping the bag upright keeps the CO2 at the bottom and he gets his eternal nap in about a minute or 2. He doesn't do the "heart attack" thing where he gasps in big gulps (happens with too much CO2). Very peaceful really.

I don't know if this is the most humane way to do it. Surely not based on any scientific measurement of some sort (which, by the way, is available somewhere - I saw it before, just can't remember where it is, I'll link it here if I find it). I just know it's a peaceful I'm-going-to-sleep-now transition.

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  20:53:33  Show Profile
quote:

I've found 2 squirts of the keyboard cleaner is enough for one rat in the bag. He goes to sleep in about 3 seconds which is good. Then keeping the bag upright keeps the CO2 at the bottom and he gets his eternal nap in about a minute or 2. He doesn't do the "heart attack" thing where he gasps in big gulps (happens with too much CO2). Very peaceful really.

I don't know if this is the most humane way to do it. Surely not based on any scientific measurement of some sort (which, by the way, is available somewhere - I saw it before, just can't remember where it is, I'll link it here if I find it). I just know it's a peaceful I'm-going-to-sleep-now transition.

thanks for all you help Anatess...are they big squirts or little ones...

and is the C02 safe for snakes if it is on the animal..

I have almost everything in place now, just need the chamber..

and also i was watching loads of Ball python vids today in case Kaz stays a live feeder..and tp try and harden me up, so long as the multis do not look at me it will be ok..

but could not find any of live multis, saw a royal get bit to...wasnt happy about that...but then the people could have stopped it...

I must admit i am looking forward to being able to feed mine fresh killed rather than frozen...

-- Source Unknown

Edited by - wolfspirit on 27/05/2009 20:54:14
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  21:28:16  Show Profile
Anne, there's quite a bit of them on youtube. They're called ASF rats here in my side of the pond, so try searching using that.

And one squirt is one depression of the trigger.

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal

Edited by - anatess on 27/05/2009 21:29:50
Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  21:35:02  Show Profile
quote:

Anne, there's quite a bit of them on youtube. They're called ASF rats here in my side of the pond, so try searching using that.

And one squirt is one depression of the trigger.

Thank you...

do you look at yours when your ending there lives or do you look away?

-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2009 :  21:51:27  Show Profile
I don't feed the snakes anymore. It's been months now. The kids and my husband do it now. I did it the first few months just to make sure the kids learn how to do it properly. The first time was tough because I wasn't a snake-lover then. I've always had hamster pets and I was one of those people that would grab a shovel if I see a snake and try to chop it's head off.

But, I've really learned to love these creepy crawlies. So, feeding them is just an extension of that. I mean, I feel real terrible for the rats, but, I understand it's necessary for the snake's health, and you learn to appreciate the law of nature. You also learn to appreciate the snake's natural hunting instinct. That's why I opted to feed live instead of using the CO2 bag for the royals. They are much better at it than I am, that's for sure. The hognose is a bit different. When I first fed him, I cried my eyes out! He doesn't constrict, so it took a LOOOONNNNGGG time for the rat. So, the CO2 bag is definitely MUCH better than the hognose's venom.

One thing though, if feeding live, you can't look away before the snake gets that rat fully constricted. A lot of things can happen and you have to be there to intervene if needed. With the baggie, I had to look at it the first few times because I wasn't sure of the CO2 amount yet. After a while, I got confident with my idea of a good way to do it, so I squirt and not have to look at him anymore.

I have to say, Anne, it is no picnic. I guarantee you that. Lots of emotional attachment to these beautiful rats, that's for sure.

0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal

Edited by - anatess on 27/05/2009 21:57:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked