help me with the temp! PLZ!!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vicki
Yearling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  12:07:46  Show Profile  Click to see vicki's MSN Messenger address
hi i have just bought a royal python and lovin her!! have a concern about the temp needed in her viv tho as different ppl are saying diff temps?? i have heat mat and 25w normal bulb up one end the temp is only 72f (ish) is this ok if not any tips on how to get it warmer for her?
thanx x

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  12:09:13  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi, welcome to the forum, 72F is quite low, I don't think my house ever gets down to that, how are you measuring it?

You're looking for ~90F at the hot end.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  12:15:58  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1428

Try this thread, its a similar problem.

Go to Top of Page

vicki
Yearling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  12:22:04  Show Profile  Click to see vicki's MSN Messenger address
thanx for that! the heat mat is under the viv not in it is this rite? and the ppl at the shop put loads of chips in wud this stop it gettin up to temp? they gave us a themomiter at the shop so usin that to measure temp. that thread was gd thanx but just said to leave mat on 24/7 which i am doin??

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  14:15:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Are you using a dial thermometer or a digital one?

Is it on the substrate or further up as a heatmat will not heat the air?

As long as the heatmat is on a thermostat you can leave it on all the time, this is what most people do.

If the viv is glass or plastic then yes the heatmat should be under the viv, but it must be in contact with the viv, if there is an air gap between them the heat will not get through.

Go to Top of Page

vicki
Yearling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  15:44:51  Show Profile  Click to see vicki's MSN Messenger address
we are usin a dial and it is sittin on the substrate. we have just brought a bigger heatmat that covers 2/3 and a smller one on the back to get the temp up is that ok? we have turned off the bulb

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  16:24:38  Show Profile
sounds a bit extreme to me. I have to ask but is the viv glass or wood? And are the heat mats on the inside or the outside?

Go to Top of Page

vicki
Yearling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  18:11:13  Show Profile  Click to see vicki's MSN Messenger address
the viv is plastic as she is only a baby and thats wot we were told to put her in. the heatmats are on the outside on the bottom and back

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  18:23:07  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
To be honest one heatmat covering 1/3 of the floorspace should be sufficient.

If you cover 2/3 it won't give as much of a temperature gradient across the viv.

Go to Top of Page

vicki
Yearling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  18:28:06  Show Profile  Click to see vicki's MSN Messenger address
we did only have one mat but it was only gettin up to 70f but its now gettin up to 75f with both heatmats and a lamp. its got quite a thick layer of substrate wud this stop it warmin up?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  18:28:14  Show Profile
The temps with 1/3 of the floor space covered should be enough. What sort of surface is the heat mat touching on the bottom?

Go to Top of Page

vicki
Yearling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  18:30:56  Show Profile  Click to see vicki's MSN Messenger address
its standin on a towel then the viv is on top of the heatmat and towel

Go to Top of Page

vicki
Yearling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  18:32:18  Show Profile  Click to see vicki's MSN Messenger address
the mat is on a towel

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  20:25:36  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
the dial thermometers are notoriously inaccurate! try thinning the substrate over the hot end/heatmat so the heat can get through to the snake, also is the thermometer inside the warm hide? that's where it's best measuring the temp as that's where the snake will be.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2008 :  22:26:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Also not sure how much heat the towel will be absorbing, maybe try some foil between the heatmat and the towel.

Go to Top of Page

vicki
Yearling

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2008 :  08:44:09  Show Profile  Click to see vicki's MSN Messenger address
thanx for all the ideas! we have thinned out the substrate and put in some foil and its goin up! feel more relaxed now was startin to worry

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000