Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2008 :  20:25:33  Show Profile
The last couple of times I've handled my new wee boy, I've noticed his skin is more wrinkled up where his body bends, is this because he's about to shed or am I underfeeding him? His eyes did seem slightly cloudy the other day, and the black in him isn't so dark recently.

So basically, long story cut short, does their skin get more wrinkled before shed?

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2008 :  20:27:42  Show Profile
I have never noticed wrinkling, but its quite possible. Chances are if you havent noticed it before its down to the shed.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2008 :  20:31:46  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
sounds like he's getting ready to shed. some snakes feed as normal during the run up to shedding but don't worry if they don't either. it's advisable not to handle them when they're in the blue-eyed stage as they can be more jumpy or nervous than usual as their vision is impaired. it might be helpful to put a moist hide in the viv to aid shedding, an appropriately sized plastic (ice cream?) tub with damped sphagnum moss or even just damp shredded paper/paper towels will usually suffice

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  10:19:59  Show Profile
He is eating fine, the blue eye isn't as prominent and his colours are a little off, so if the way my corn goes when he is shedding then its just down to that, I just wasn't used to the wrinkly skin bit.

He has an up-turned flowerpot packed with damp sphagnum moss in there and I sprayed the sides of the tank yesterday before I put him back in after feeding so fingers crossed it all goes well.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  10:45:34  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Good luck.

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  10:33:26  Show Profile
Thanks BE, its just the wrinkley skin that's made me a bit worried.
Go to Top of Page

baldyman666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  21:08:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I have never noticed wrinkling, but its quite possible. Chances are if you havent noticed it before its down to the shed.

mulv matey, i am with stardust on her first shed since having her..... and i have seen a noticable 'wrinkle' where she bends too.... she also has the blue foggy eyes and blurred discolouration of skin

but there is a very obvious wrinkle where she 'bends' whilst moving

and i know she is ok cos she just ate... so for my VERY limited knowledge .... i think its ok....but i am interested and keen too tap into the experience and expertise of the herpetologists here

i would like to ask a question of my own here too...

Q. with some study i have heard that i should mist not only the tank but my royal should be misted also to promote good 'single skin' shedding.... i did tonight and from reading the reactions... stardust was not impressed (maily because she has become inactive and i had to lift her hide to do so)

i believe that this can be an awesomley stressfull time for a python , so am i going about the right way?

what are your experiances

in fact.... i really enjoyed the forum sticky on feeding so i feel a request

REQUEST... if noob herpe keepers such as myself ask very common questions concerning shedding of royals...everything from ...what heat of mist ... how much humidity is required.. how to build a good humidity shelter ... and good tips to successful shedding such as the very informative feeeding sticky..... could someone start a great sticky?

STARDUST
DOB: 10 jul 08

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  21:19:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by baldyman666
[brREQUEST... if noob herpe keepers such as myself ask very common questions concerning shedding of royals...everything from ...what heat of mist ... how much humidity is required.. how to build a good humidity shelter ... and good tips to successful shedding such as the very informative feeeding sticky..... could someone start a great sticky?

How weird, I was just talking about me making a shedding guide tonight

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  21:45:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I wouldn't (and never have) misted the actual snake. I try and have a large rock under my heat sources that I can liberally spray and allow to evaporate off.

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  10:25:24  Show Profile
I mist the sides of the tank, but not the snake. Ok if yours went like it too that makes me feel a bit better.
Go to Top of Page

baldyman666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  10:56:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I wouldn't (and never have) misted the actual snake. I try and have a large rock under my heat sources that I can liberally spray and allow to evaporate off.

thanks BE and MULV, i too have a rock under the heat source so am misting that...i will only go for moisting the snake if she has trouble shedding :)

STARDUST

Edited by - baldyman666 on 23/11/2008 10:57:34
Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  12:13:10  Show Profile
I think instead of spraying the snake, which would probably stress him/her out, that I might try bathing if mine ever has problems.
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  12:22:48  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
I put moist spagnum in the hot hide, moved his bowl nearer to the heat lamp, and misted the sides of the viv daily when he shed last. Seemed to do the trick.

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  14:26:59  Show Profile
Yeah got the moist moss in there.
Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  14:39:43  Show Profile
Ok I've decided to bath him after work tonight if he hasn't shed already, but I'm concerned about temperatures, I did do a search on here but couldn't find anything so I apologise if I'm asking a common question, but what temperature should the water be? I have a digital Exo Terra thermometer with probe which I can use to measure it.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  14:55:36  Show Profile
no specific temp.

just luke warm NOT hot..

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  15:32:52  Show Profile
Cool ok, gunna try that tonight, can't wait to see him swimming lol.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  15:39:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I'd have the water the same sort of temp as the viv, so between 24C and 32C.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  16:13:22  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
brrrrr! 24*C? even our local pool is warmer than that!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  16:17:32  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
I have it at a similar temp to when I bathed my youngest son when he was a baby.

Go to Top of Page

baldyman666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  16:38:27  Show Profile
good luck mulv... we both going thru the shed period, hope to seem some photos of the shed , i will post some too when it happen

STARDUST

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000