Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  18:04:58  Show Profile
Yeah I got my camera out all ready, gotta have dinner first.

I did think about the same temp as the viv, so thanks to confirm that BE.
Also, my OH is a nanny, so I think I'll ask her to check if its similar temp to when bathing a baby.
Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  19:58:03  Show Profile
Right, so he's all bathed, it seemed like he enjoyed it, was swimming like a pro lol.
So piccies.
However I'm still a bit concerned about the loose/wrinkly skin. I guess if he doesn't shed in a few more days I might take him to a vet, but I have some pics for you guys to have a look at and see what you think. I'm kinda bricking it but I hope he is ok.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Oh, I thought I might offer a feed a bit later after he's settled after his bath, because he looks underfed to me, but I only fed him thursday, too soon?

Edited by - Mulv on 23/11/2008 19:59:03
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  20:05:35  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Yes, too soon (imo), I wouldn't go more often than every 5 days.

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  20:08:36  Show Profile
Ok thought so. What do you think about the wrinkles in the 1st n 2nd pic BE? His skin seems so loose atm.
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  20:14:47  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i really wouldn't worry about his wrinkles, a little weight loss or rapid weight gain could cause it, if he's ok in himself i'd just keep an eye on him. do you monitor his weight? i weigh my yearling corns every month, the adults every month or two but i must confess i've never weighed Marilyn the Dumerils and rarely weigh Queenie my Royal. i will try to weigh him monthly from now on though

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  20:16:31  Show Profile
Um no haven't weighed him just yet. Can do then check again in a week or two though.

What would cause weightloss? I've had him like 3 weeks or so and he has fed fine since I got him.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  20:44:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I doubt he's lost weight then, its usually only when they are fasting or ill.

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2008 :  14:53:38  Show Profile
Right guys and gals, sorry to keep banging on about this.

Checked Sid just now and found two pieces of shed skin in his tank, so he went back in the bath for a bit, then back into his tank after I misted it and wet the moss which I put in the hide he spends all his time in. The skin underneath the shed looks fine, I'll wait and see if the wrinkles are still there once it's all off.

I wanted to check, when Slim my corn shed, he did it all in one go, so have I got the conditions wrong in Sid's tank?

Also, looking at the pics, what do you think he should be eating? The rep shop sold me small mice with him, once I've used all those I'll be trying rats, but are small mice big enough for him?
Just the idea of him being underfed has made me a bit paranoid.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2008 :  17:01:25  Show Profile
you need to weigh him and lets us know so we can tell you wot ours were or are so you can compare...

as for the size of prey my youngest female is on weener rolands and is approx 7 months old...

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2008 :  17:40:23  Show Profile
Ok just weighed him, but they are analogue kitchen scales, so he is roughly 100g. Sound ok?
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2008 :  18:03:29  Show Profile
how old is he??

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2008 :  18:21:14  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Mine were all on a couple of Rat Pups at that weight, preparing to move onto a Rat Fluff at about 150g. Obviously every snake is different and it depends on the snake's girth.

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2008 :  19:15:19  Show Profile
He is around 4 months as far as I know.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2008 :  19:17:38  Show Profile
mine was 101g at approx 4 months eating a small mouse every 5 days.

so i wouldnt worry...

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2008 :  19:25:45  Show Profile
Cool thanks Dazb. He's still having a bad time getting his shed off so I'm going to try the damp pillowcase in a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2008 :  20:14:40  Show Profile
Yet another post, but most of his shed has just come off in one go, with a little assistance. He's being as good as gold. His tail and upper neck/head sections are still on, so he's had another trip into the sink and hes back in the pillowcase. One thing I have noticed while I've been doing all this, is sometimes I hear his breath almost pop or click. From what I've read, this sounds like an RI but his mouth seems fine and he still keeps it closed.
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2008 :  20:43:31  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i'd just monitor how he's doing then, it might be the start of an RI but keep the temps up and when he's shed get the humidity down to try and stop it developing further

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2008 :  13:57:23  Show Profile
I've taken the moss out of the tank and stopped spraying it. Unfortunately his head and neck still have the old skin on but I bought some repti shedding aid from zoo med today so I'll see if that loosens. I decided a bit of retained skin isn't as bad as an RI. I've also located a reptile vets and I'm going to register them there soon.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2008 :  17:35:39  Show Profile
Zavvi shed last night and still has the sides of her face on including eye caps. She will be having a bath next time!

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2008 :  18:24:46  Show Profile
Sid had a bath but still no luck.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly