New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2008 :  11:53:21  Show Profile
I am planning to give our 11 months old Royal a larger viv (he is currently in an exo terra glass viv size 18"x18"x18"), but the ideal size for where it's going would be about 30-31" wide, and I'd like it to be taller than 15" heigh, which I can't find flat pack and ready made anywhere.

If I go for a 2' wide and 18" x 18", will that work with a ceramic bulb for heating and creating a gradient, or should I use something other than a ceramic bulb. I'm worried about using a heatmat inside the viv (electrocution etc), and also, in order to keep the ambient temp reasonable, when using a heat mat, I have to keep the central heating on day and night (and quite high in the room where the viv is). Any suggestions for what would be best to do?

Aka "The Old Bat"

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2008 :  21:00:23  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
mats on stats are absolutely fine, i use them for all of mine. if the room's generally warm then ambient temp shouldn't be a problem and the stat will compensate at the warm end. how big is your Royal now?

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2008 :  21:32:24  Show Profile
He is about 90 cm long/just under 3'. I'd like to be able to turn the heating off at night, but without heating in the room, the viv get really cold (ie last time heating was off the ambient temp in the viv went down to 18 degrees C).

My other bit decision is the size of the new viv. It will have to be either 30" x 15" x 15" or 24" x 18" x 18". I'd really like to have the extra height, but not sure if 24" is wide enough.

Unless oldest son agrees to having his bed moved, in which case we WOULD be able to fit in a 3' viv!

What do you think? Is 24" wide enough?

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2008 :  20:35:01  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
if she's around the 3ft mark now i'd go for a 3ft viv (and bully ask your eldest into moving his bed) as for height - Royals like climbing but they suck at it, probably best not to go too high or it's further for them to fall off!
without any heating in the room it will drop pretty cold overnight, i'd definitely recommend a heatmat, if you particularly want a night time drop (but not too low) you can get dimming stats

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2008 :  22:26:21  Show Profile
Son has been persuaded, and we will have a 3' viv! I was thinking of a ceramic with a dimmer or pulse stat, but no mat. I still worry about a mat inside the viv; ie, water, snake pee condensation etc on it.

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000