New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RoadRage258
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  21:17:03  Show Profile
Hi, I'm trying to persuade my dad to let me have a Royal Python. He wants to know how much should we pay, what age Royal should we buy, how big of a vivarium should we buy, and what age do they reach their full size? Thanks.

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  21:33:02  Show Profile
Price depends on age.
For a CB08 I paid £50 but I have seen them for up to £80.
It depends if you want a baby and grow him up yourself, or buy an adult straight off.
Viv-wise, most people keep babies in a RUB or a plastic tank or small glass tank until they are older, but iirc they will never need much more than a 3ft.
Again, iirc they reach 'full' (they never really stop growing) at about 3-4 years.

I know you from thecornsnake, and I have both a corn and a royal. The corn is quite lively, trying to escape when I have him out and he's quick. Royal is complete opposite, quite calm and slow. Nice snakes to handle.
Go to Top of Page

RoadRage258
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  21:38:18  Show Profile
Just had a look on a website for a reptile shop, they have 2 Royal Pythons for £84.99 and by age it says CB07, what does CB07 mean?

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  21:39:34  Show Profile
hey there...

wot size to get and how old is really down to how much you want to pay. they start at around £30 and can reach thousands.

wot age depends on how much you want to spend and if you want to watch it grow and mature...

size of the viv depends on the age of the snake...

they reach full size at approx 3 years.

sorry not to be a great help...

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  21:41:30  Show Profile
CB is captive bred. (parents are not wild)

CF is captive farmed. (eggs taken from the wild and hatched)

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  21:45:44  Show Profile
Oh yeah I forgot to mention the price increase for Morphs.

Put it this way, I was looking at a Piebald the other day, til I realised it was worth more than my car.

Champagne Royal (even though I think they aren't as good as normals) £4000 anyone? XD
Go to Top of Page

RoadRage258
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  21:51:24  Show Profile
I wasn't, and I don't think my dad would be planning to pay that much, I prefer the colour on normal royals than on the other ones. Is £85 an alright price for a normal royal?

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  22:06:47  Show Profile
How old?

But yeah regardless of age it seems pretty normal, like I say though, you can get them cheaper. Not necessarily better.

Is that breeder or shop by the way?
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  22:27:50  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
i pad that for mine,there was cheaper ones around £60 but i took a shine to him and paid the extra.he was worth every penny.Handle a few and see which one you click with

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

bikesfred54
Hatchling

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  08:29:19  Show Profile
i got my o8 normal for £40 thats a female is 08 males were £25 but that was from a breeder.pet shops charge a lot more.also it you look around you can buy a complete set up with a normal royal for around £150.
Go to Top of Page

saddleninja
Yearling

United Kingdom
268 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  10:12:55  Show Profile
hi and welcome to the forum

1 amel
1 okeette
2 normals
1 rosy rat x
3 royals
1 cali king
1 publean milk
1 yemen chameleon
2 orange spotted agamas
1 colombian rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

RoadRage258
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  10:26:17  Show Profile
Its a shop

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  11:07:20  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
over the summer there's usually loads of hatchlings around (despite what the pet shop might have out on display they probably have loads more out the back) so prices tend to be lower. this time of year there's fewer for sale and as they've been kept that much longer they have cost the shop/breeder in time, electricity, substrate and mice/rats, so the prices go up slightly.
i bought my CF08 in the summer for £50, well, that's what he was marked up at in the shop, i actually swapped a rat snake for him!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  11:55:26  Show Profile
I got my Normal with full setup including 3 foot wooden viv and themostat for £100. But that was from a private seller.

I wouldn't expect to pay more than £60-80 in a shop for a Normal morph RP. However, I would never get a WC or CF snake just because they it was cheaper, as they are far more likely to have feeding problems and parasites.

My number one piece of advice would be always always go for a captive bred snake for these reasons (and also because there are more than enough RP's in captivity that are breeding, so there is no need to collect snakes and eggs from the wild). I could go into full rant mode now but I shall restrain myself!

1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Go to Top of Page

RoadRage258
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  16:40:29  Show Profile
On my new banner, there is a pic of Draco, my new Royal (I persuaded my dad). He's due to be fed on Wednesday. My mum wants to know, we travled 1 hour away to get Draco, while we were there we bought half a dozen fuzzies, will they be alright to feed Draco again cos they might have de-frosted a bit on the way home.
Draco
|
|
\_/

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  17:59:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi, nice Python, the fuzzies should be fine even if slightly defrosted.

However, I would suggest changing to Rat Pups if possible or Small Mice if not, fuzzies are a bit on the small side really.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  20:51:08  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
the fuzzies shouldn't have thawed too much in that time, and Draco looks lovely
like BE says get him on to small mice or rat pups as soon as possible. Queenie wouldn't entertain fuzzies at all, but mice with proper fur are fine. sometimes it can be a huge job getting them to convert to rats (which they really need to be on as adults) so the earlier they get used to the smell/taste the better

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000