New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RoadRage258
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  17:51:52  Show Profile
hi, just tried to feed Draco. Put him in a RUB and have offered him a rat pup. I Wiggles it and have left it in the box. He doesn't seem interested in it. I have now left him in the box with the food, how long should i leave him with it and what do i do if he doesn't eat it?

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  17:54:15  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
How long have you had him, how long since he last ate, how old is he, what weight is he?

Go to Top of Page

RoadRage258
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  17:55:29  Show Profile
had him on sunday and the shop said to feed him on wednesday, he's Feb 08

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  18:07:13  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I would always suggest leaving alone except to change water for at least a week. Royals do need time to settle in and if he's a Feb '08 he must be a few hundred grams so will be able to last a long time without food

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  18:16:54  Show Profile
i agree with BE...

wen both mine wasnt feeding out the viv, i placed the roland in the viv and left for 24 hrs to see if they would take it in there own time. if still there 24 hrs later take it out...

it worked on one of mine, snapped it up within 10mins...

Go to Top of Page

RoadRage258
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  18:28:04  Show Profile
Im goin to try to wiggle the rat pup again in a bit and then after that I'll leave him alone with it.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  20:41:34  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
on top of what's already been said, and contrary to what i normally recommend, feeding IN the viv can be less stressful for stressy snakes such as some Royals as they're familiar and settled in their own environment. BUT certain precautions should be taken - i use orchid bark that's quite big chunks so it doesn't stick to the mouse and get ingested, and keep an eye on the feeding process from a distance (sitting very still!) to make sure it's just the mouse that's swallowed. alternatively you can 'serve' the mouse on a paper plate or some newspaper again to prevent substrate being swallowed.
make sure the mouse if fully defrosted and REALLY hot, particularly the head, this can tempt shy feeders too. i use a small plastic dessert tub on top of a mug of boiled water, placing just the defrosted mouse's head on the bottom of the tub, other wise hot mouse bodies can be very messy!

just a few ideas for you to try when you feed Draco next week

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  21:05:30  Show Profile
sorry forgot to say that i used paper as substrate cos of having to feed inside the vivs to prevent impaction.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  21:37:48  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
Marilyn is on paper too, for that same reason dazb, she doesn't need the humidity a royal does either

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

RoadRage258
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
34 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  20:49:39  Show Profile
i left the rat pup on a piece of kitchen roll in the viv for 24 hrs, draco didn't take it. When should i try him again with another one? should i try him in a different tub next time again or place it on kitchen roll as i have aspen in the viv?

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  21:22:48  Show Profile
i would leave him for a couple of days then try again. leave him in his viv and just wiggle it again. if he does not strike then leave it again over nite.

i would suggest no handleing until he is feeding regular again...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000