Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2008 :  18:19:43  Show Profile
hi guys,

i know that substrate wen ingested causes impaction. but is there any that isnt as bad as others.

basically my royals are only feeding in their vivs for some reason, i take them out and offer it to them and they are not interested, but wen i put them back in and put the roland in there with them they take it practically straight away. i do put it on paper in there, but they end up dragging it around so i end up lifting them back out of the viv wen there constricting and they finish it off outside. to me this is not a good way to do it. so i need some advice on a alternative substrate that isnt newspaper cos i dont like the way it looks.

any suggestions???

cheers

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2008 :  18:37:44  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
This is the main reason I use Aspen. I always dry-defrost and warm the rats and they all strike feed now, but occasionally still get some substrate and I don't believe a little bit of Aspen will cause a blockage, sure it will just pass through.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2008 :  18:55:56  Show Profile
I would go with aspen. The royal is more likly to injest it, but its not going to cause much of a blockage. If you were to use beech chips or bark, there would be less chance of ingestion, but the snake would definatly feel the effects if it caused a blockage.

Go to Top of Page

Mancunian
Hatchling

United Kingdom
89 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2008 :  09:37:53  Show Profile
I now use Auboise. This is hempcore. Marketed as horse bedding but safe for snakes and used by many in the reptile world including reptile shops. It is like aspen but softer, dust free, very absorbent. If ingested it is digestible. Comes in HUGE 20 kg bags for as cheap as £8 (I paid more as got from a reptile shop). A sack will last me over a year at least for 3 vivs.

Just to add that since using it my humidity levels have been much more stable also at 60-62%.

1.0.0 Royal Python (Python regius) CB07 Tibo (Normal)
0.1.1 Corn Snakes (Elaphe guttata) CB07 Jasper (Amelanastic) CB07 Chico (Anerythristic Aztec)
1.1.0 California Kingsnakes (Lampropeltis getula californiae) CB05 Luka (B&W Banded) CB06 Lucien (Albino Banded)

Edited by - Mancunian on 21/12/2008 09:39:34
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2008 :  12:20:24  Show Profile
cheers guys,

think i will go for aspen from now on, but gonna have a look at that Auboise aswell if i can find it cos aint seen it anywhere.

20kg sack is a little big though...

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2008 :  12:56:26  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I always dry-defrost and warm the rats

I was thinking about this the other day,if i leave it out allday to defrost properly will lots of nasty bacteria start to form on it and once defrosted whats the best way to warm it up.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2008 :  13:15:44  Show Profile
Lee - some people dont like to leave their rats out to defrost for that reason, and some dont like defrosting in water because they think nutrients are absorbed by the water. I put mine into a food bag and then into a cup of warm water so no nasties can get to it.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2008 :  14:52:29  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Im using sandwich bags at the mo,just did'nt know if it was better to slow defrost like you would with our meat.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000