Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nutzyjazz
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  11:19:40  Show Profile
well shortly i will be gettin a royal
but oviously the set up is not as simple as for my baby corn
im unsure of all the equiptment i here people talkin about like stats and the different ligghting and decision between lighting and heat mats!!

i will be starting with a 3 - 4 ft viv, so any one with recomendations and a lil info on the different equiptment, that would be a great help!!

thank you!!
hope you had a good new year!! :)

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  11:36:22  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage
Personally I would recommend a ceramic, guard, dimming stat. I know you CAN use a mat, but Royals are heavier bodied animals, and, in my opinion, are better off with ceramics (or and AHS/Reptile radiator) I use a dimming stat with magic eye (as I like to do a night time temp drop)

Then its just the same as your corn tbh.

I find mine prefers larger bark chippings over aspen.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  12:18:08  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
hi and welcome,what age royal are you planning on getting as a large viv may stress a young royal.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

nutzyjazz
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  12:38:43  Show Profile
i will be buyin a fairly young one
the guy in the rep shop said he wud be fne if i got him plenty of hides
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  13:21:01  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
I personly would go for a rub,fuanarium or a small viv.You might be ok with plenty of hides but the pet shop is in the business of selling hides,vivs ect and a royal's do not need much of a excuse to go of it's food.

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  13:23:10  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
just to be clear,im not saying pet shops rip you off,just that some do like to over sale you items you dont need

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  13:35:26  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I agree with Lee, they're fine in a small rub when young, they love being nice and tight. It makes them feel secure.

Also, you mentioned that you have heard of stats for Royals, however you should have one for your Corn too.

Go to Top of Page

nutzyjazz
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  13:48:33  Show Profile
see im not sure what a stat is thats what i was tryin to find out when i posted this
like what each piece of equiptment is and what it does

i do have a heat mat for my corn
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  15:02:13  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
A stat is short for thermostat which controls the temp of the mat by switching it off at the desired temp then back on when it cools,they are a must or you could end up burning the snake.

Edited by - lee2308 on 02/01/2009 15:02:52
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  15:31:10  Show Profile
hey there,

a stat in my opinion is a must. Each of my mats is controld by a stat.

Basically a heat mat/lamps can reach temperatures that are way in excess of wot your snake needs. This makes them more versatile for differnt reps as some require more heat than others.
A stat is basically like a control switch that will not let it go beyond a certain temperature. you set it to the desired temp by using a seperate thermometer.

If the temperature is to hot it can cause harm to your snake because they do not feel heat like us and burn them selves. that is why all heat sources should be controled by stats to prevent over heating, and all lights sould have guards to prevent the snake fron coiling round it.

there are lots of different stats out there check this out...

http://www.theroyalpython.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=213

Edited by - dazb on 02/01/2009 15:32:33
Go to Top of Page

nutzyjazz
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  23:24:37  Show Profile
hhhmmm. . .
the mat i have came with a corn snake set up, the mat is not inside the terranium just underneath
does that make any differnce?
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  23:39:49  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
No, sorry.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  11:53:27  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
a 3-4' viv is waaaaay too big for a baby Royal! if you were buying an adult that size would be fine though stick with a cheap faun or RUB, that should last a baby Royal for quite a while.

basically your shopping list should go something like this:
appropriately sized viv/faun/RUB
meatmat/ceramic & guard
stat
substrate eg. orchid bark/beech chippings/paper
thermometer (either one that takes the temp in 2 places, or 2 thermometers)
hygrometer (measures humidity)
2 hides
large water bowl

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  11:55:13  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
the only thing i do differently with my corns is that i don't bother with the hygrometer as corns need low humidity which is easily achieved

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

baldyman666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  17:14:38  Show Profile
This is my set up for a july CB08 female - she didnt feed to start with but has been regular as clockwork since (xl mouse EVERY week)

i have put up a picture of what works for me , it changed a lot since buying it, and like a good house it has matured each passing month, this might not be what everyone does and is by no means what experts think , but it works for me and just thought i would show you... thats why i like this forum, everyone has a million and one ways of achieving a good habitat for their snakes

footnotes to picture

she did not eat to start (quite usual) so i switched off the uv lamp that came with it for good
this achieved light/dark areas which made her feel safer (she didnt like uv light and they don't need it)

my heat mat is on a timer and that works fine for me - the main heat source is a habistat sensor controlled lamp also on timer so there is a heat drop (to about 70c) during the night)

she is in shed which is the reason for half aspen / half coconut husk (this retains moisture amazingly and she will 'burrow ' in it which helps her shedding cycle OTHERWISE i use aspen in the whole tank as substrate - hopes this helps

its probably OTT for a set up - but i luurrvve my python and my milksnake is gonna get the same treatment this month)

[/URL]

STARDUST
DOB: 10 jul 08

Edited by - baldyman666 on 04/01/2009 17:17:13
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  17:42:02  Show Profile
looks like a great set up to me...

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  08:52:44  Show Profile
Very nice setup

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  16:08:36  Show Profile
That's awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  18:56:58  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Cool photo Baldyman! Very informative

I agree with everyone else nutzyjazz, get a small viv or RUB for a baby royal. They go off their food so easily and having a too large viv is one of the main things that does it.

Go to Top of Page

baldyman666
Hatchling

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  20:16:47  Show Profile
yeh - it took ages to get stardust to feed - but i remember everyone on here telling me one important thing - when they are hungry , they gonna eat, its not gonna starve itself to death :)

thanx for all the comments on pic

STARDUST
DOB: 10 jul 08

Edited by - baldyman666 on 10/01/2009 20:18:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000