HUMIDITY
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  13:20:06  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
Since fitting the infrared bulb the humidity has dropped to 20-25%,i have tried moving the water bowl closer and soaking his coconut hide and the piece of bog wood i have,but still no joy.I have the dial on the back wall and about 6" up,should i move it or just keep spraying the viv.

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Edited by - lee2308 on 07/01/2009 13:24:32

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  15:10:05  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
To be honest Lee, I don't check my humidities, I do spray when they go into shed and they always have a moss hide if they want to be more humid. The dial hygrometers aren't particularly accurate either.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  16:28:09  Show Profile
I dont bother with humidity, its too much of a faff. I spray my viv too and give her a bath and a damp hide. Whats normal room humidity?

You could just spray the top of that exo hide and let it evaporate off that.

Edited by - matty18714 on 07/01/2009 18:01:41
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  17:55:02  Show Profile
royals require about a 50-60% humidity.

My normal room humidity is 50-60%.

The normal dials arnt vey good. i have 1 digital one that i use to test my dial ones to cut down on expense.

Go to Top of Page

karl
Fully Grown Royal

1069 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  21:06:16  Show Profile  Visit karl's Homepage
I have a proper hygrometer for my BRB, the EXO dial one I used to have read room humidity at 40% max, the decent one shows it to be 50% almost constantly. TBH its high humidity that Royals don't like, low humidity should be fine as they always have somewhere to swim should they need the moisture

Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  23:44:10  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
thanks,just didnt want to cause any breathing problems for him,i think i will still give it a spray now and again just to bring it up a bit

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  08:22:37  Show Profile
He's more likely to develop breathing problems from it being too humid IMO.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  14:46:21  Show Profile
I agree with mulv. from wot i understand RI's are normally caused by to damp conditions...

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  15:20:45  Show Profile
When I went a tad overboard because Sid had a bad shed, spraying here there and everywhere and making it really damp, a bit later he developed an RI. Possibly a coincedence but I think not. So I think too high is more dangerous than too low.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  19:44:49  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I don't bother doing anything for the royal unless it's shedding time. I thought 50% was room humidity too

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  21:38:31  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

I agree with mulv. from wot i understand RI's are normally caused by to damp conditions...

true

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  23:44:15  Show Profile
I just went through a humidity battle 2 months ago. Humidity in Northern Florida is at 70-80% during the summer/fall months and 20% during winter which is frustrating when you got ball pythons! Too high humidity can cause RI but too low humidity causes bad shed. And I got a finicky pastel who stopped eating when the humidity went down to 20% last November. Corns and kings and milks are not humidity sensitive but ball pythons are. Plus, I have a ceramic heat lamp which I had to increase wattage during winter which zaps humidity! So, this is what I did last November to bring the humidity back up to 50% (I have a glass tank with a screen top)... I covered 2/3 of the screen top with tin-foil, moved the water bowl (I have a water bowl big enough for her to soak in) to the warm end, changed the substrate from aspen to cypress, then put little ceramic cups (they were my parrot's food dish) with damp spahgnum moss in there too. Sometimes I have to mist the substrate to get it high enough but most of the time I don't have to. I already have a humid hide in the cool spot but wanted the snake to have humid all over. After I got the humidity up to 50%, her next shed went off in one piece and she started eating again. I could also change my ceramic lamp with radiant heat panel which doesn't affect humidity much but it's too much money for my budget.

By the way, last October, the humidity was at 70% so what I had to do to lower it is run a fan in the room making sure the draft doesn't hit the screen top (tested by lighting a candle on top of the tank).

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  09:15:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Good advise

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  10:10:15  Show Profile
some good tips there...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly