New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ryzi
Yearling

United Kingdom
129 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  22:52:26  Show Profile
hey guys im using orchid bark at the mo bu the only problem is my royal wont feed outside the viv so she is always eating inside . i have heard that aspen is the best substrate why is this? and any ideas how much it costs cheers

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  22:56:42  Show Profile
Aspen is pretty good. Its absorbant and easy to spot mess on, the snake can tunnel in it (not that many royals do this though) and its pretty much available anywhere. Its about £3-4 a kg I think (but cheaper if bough in bulk).

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  23:20:52  Show Profile
Aspen is widely used in the US because it is cheap, soft, light colored (easy to spot messes), and does not cause impactation (if the snake ever gets it inside its mouth). Although majority of breeders use it, it's not really the best for royals because it doesn't hold humidity too well. I use twice-milled cypress for my royals which has almost the same texture as aspen. It is a darker wood though, so the urates are visible but the solid stuff is not as obvious. I've been having humidity problems the past months which caused me to switch from aspen to cypress. I feed my snakes in a separate substrate-free tank though.

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  09:13:47  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
The humidity in the UK is just about right for Royals, so the Aspen not holding humidity is not really an issue here in my opinion.

Auboise is another option for substrate.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  10:07:41  Show Profile
im switching to aspen because my royals wont feed out side their viv at the moment (i think its cos of the weather my room is to cold for them.)

From wot ive read /heard it is the best for this becuse it does not cause impaction problems. Easier to digest and pass through.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000