Keeping 2 Royals together
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Danny Action1
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  10:18:46  Show Profile  Click to see Danny Action1's MSN Messenger address
Hello all

Im new to this forum so please go easy on me.
I have 2 baby royals both females age gap of about 6/8 weeks and just wanted to know do you think it is ok to house them together and seperate them for feeding they seem to be doing well at the moment together in a viv size of 36"long 18"front to back and 15"high with loads of houses and bark in there for them to hide under.

Thanks for reading

Danny

0.1.0 Lemmon Pastel
0.1.0 Albino
1.0.0 Spider
1.0.0 Pastel
1.1.0 Mojave
1.0.0 Het Pied
0.1.0 Pied
0.1.0 Pinstripe
1.0.0 Double het Caramel Glow
0.1.0 Het Orange Ghost
0.1.0 Het Caramel

Edited by - Danny Action1 on 09/01/2009 10:28:44

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  13:38:27  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Hi Danny, this is always a contencious issue and my answer is always this:

There is no benefit to the snake to be kept together, there are however risks (no matter how small) that could be avoided by housing seperately, so you should ask yourself why you want to house them together.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  14:08:42  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
...but if you are going to do it you've got the right idea with having them the same size and feeding separately

Are you 100% sure they are both female too? Sometimes you can be wrong and mixed sex snakes shouldn't be put together at a young age in case they mate too early. Best off making sure before you put them in together

Go to Top of Page

Danny Action1
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  14:37:28  Show Profile  Click to see Danny Action1's MSN Messenger address
Thanks for getting back to me.The reason why they are together is that 1 is a lemon pastel and the other is a high contrast albino and i wanted them to really look good with each other in one viv. As for the sex of the royals i got them from Jungle phase in essex and the owner glen did check for me and i would like to say i could trust him with that as he lives and breaths royals aswell and he said that they would be fine together i just wanted to double check what you guys thought.

cheers Danny

0.1.0 Lemmon Pastel
0.1.0 Albino
1.0.0 Spider
1.0.0 Pastel
1.1.0 Mojave
1.0.0 Het Pied
0.1.0 Pied
0.1.0 Pinstripe
0.1.0 Het Orange Ghost
0.1.0 Het Caramel
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  15:53:55  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
Hello and welcome .

Nobody on here is up their own backside so don't worry about asking questions, no matter how silly you might think the question is. We've all had our moments and asked some absolute no-brainers. I know I have .

Personally I wouldn't house them together because of the risk of disease. One ill snake can soon become two. In the case of your two that could be pretty expensive if the illness is fatal .

Why not build a double viv stack?

Edited by - Paulusworm on 09/01/2009 15:59:40
Go to Top of Page

Danny Action1
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  16:07:06  Show Profile  Click to see Danny Action1's MSN Messenger address
Hiya Paul
To be honest i havent got the room for another viv already have a stack going with bearded dragons in and the snakes are on top of that its getting to high up now

0.1.0 Lemmon Pastel
0.1.0 Albino
1.0.0 Spider
1.0.0 Pastel
1.1.0 Mojave
1.0.0 Het Pied
0.1.0 Pied
0.1.0 Pinstripe
0.1.0 Het Orange Ghost
0.1.0 Het Caramel
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  16:44:03  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I would trust Glen with the sexing.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  16:47:29  Show Profile
hi and welcome...

I personally wouldnt house snakes together for all of the above reasons, but many people do and are fine.
I think its down to personal choice. Just be careful and keep an eye on them if you do plan to do it. The most common problem ive heard/read of when housing royals together is that thet put each other off there food.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  18:25:01  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
And things like keeping track of who's pooed and if you find a regurge, which one was it from?

Also, you will always have a dominant one which will get all the best spots to thermoregulate and hide.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  19:24:26  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
heya and welcome

personally if your viv is 36" long and they're only babies I'd split the viv and give them half each until grow a bit more and get past the potential cannibalistic age. I'm not against cohabiting - i have a 1.1 pair of adult corns together permanently and a pair of female corn yearlings together too. A 36" viv would have to be really packed out with stuff to make little Royals feel secure, they'd probably be happier with half the space each.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Danny Action1
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  21:09:59  Show Profile  Click to see Danny Action1's MSN Messenger address
ok well i think they will be ok in the one viv i understand what everyone is saying but if i keep a close eye on everything they should be ok (I hope)and soon as i get some space i will seperate them just to be safe

thank you for your thoughts

cheers Danny

0.1.0 Lemmon Pastel
0.1.0 Albino
1.0.0 Spider
1.0.0 Pastel
1.1.0 Mojave
1.0.0 Het Pied
0.1.0 Pied
0.1.0 Pinstripe
0.1.0 Het Orange Ghost
0.1.0 Het Caramel
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  21:23:52  Show Profile
no problems mate. at the end of the day its a very debated subject with many many different opinions.

only thing i would say is just keep a spare RUB with afew bits and bobs ready to create a basic setup just incase you have to seperate them at short notice if any problems do arise.
Hopefully you will never need it.

P.S any chance of some pics...We love pics

Go to Top of Page

Danny Action1
Yearling

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  21:41:17  Show Profile  Click to see Danny Action1's MSN Messenger address
Hiya Daz

leave it with me and i will sort some pics out tomorrow for ya cheers for ya help

0.1.0 Lemmon Pastel
0.1.0 Albino
1.0.0 Spider
1.0.0 Pastel
1.1.0 Mojave
1.0.0 Het Pied
0.1.0 Pied
0.1.0 Pinstripe
0.1.0 Het Orange Ghost
0.1.0 Het Caramel
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  23:00:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by dazb

only thing i would say is just keep a spare RUB with afew bits and bobs ready to create a basic setup just incase you have to seperate them at short notice if any problems do arise.
Hopefully you will never need it.

Thats very good advise there.

Pics please

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  09:11:59  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message

As GP says, you don't really need another viv or more space at the moment, if you split the viv in half with a divider they'll still have plenty of room.

How old are they?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000