settling in.think i left it too long
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sirio
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  23:09:03  Show Profile  Click to see sirio's MSN Messenger address
Think i left my royal to long to settle in.i picked her up today
and she stuck at me twice but when i got her from the shop she was fine to pick up and hold,not that im scared to get bite its just im scared she bites and pulls back and snaps her fangs,could her heat mat be too warm she sit's in her hide all day and most of the night.
eny advice whould be much appreciated as i need her to be calm for the kids as im not wanting her to strick them and then they might
be scared to hold her as she,s a family pet.
Thanks again sirio

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  23:31:05  Show Profile
mine spend alot of time in there warm hides so i wouldnt worry.

as for striking at you sometimes they get moody. also lots of things to consider.
did you hesitate/hover over her?
did your hands smell of food?
did you wake her, go in to her hide and get her?

as for breaking her fangs dont worry she doesnt have any. she has lots of little teeth. a good pic in the photos section that shows them.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  23:31:36  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Time and patience, sorry.

Go to Top of Page

sirio
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  23:41:14  Show Profile  Click to see sirio's MSN Messenger address
Thanks i feel reassured now and ill just keep at it every couple of days,i was actually holding her at the time with both my hands under her body to support her and like resting against my stomach,i had washed my hands before picking her up.i did wake her from her hide tho may be she was crabbit next time ill wait till shes out.
thanks very much for the advice it,s really appreciated

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  20:35:30  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
regular (daily or every other day for a RP) short handling sessions, making sure she's awake before you go to pick her up, try changing the water in her bowl before picking her up as a way of letting her know you're around and not a threat.
don't handle her if she's blue-eyed or about to shed as their vision is impaired so their lack of sight can make them nervous and unpredictable

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000