Vivarium size for young royal
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

evekioul
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  16:27:02  Show Profile
Hiya ive had my royal for about 4 months now and hes wicked! really inquisitive and loves to eat etc all the things i thought he wouldnt be.

At the minute i have him in a 12x12 exoterra terrarium that he came with but i want to get something more suitable as i dont think these are the best vivs for them really. And wondered if anyone knew if a 36" vivexotic viv would be to big? hes about 40cm long at the minute and i was going to fill it with 2 hides and quite a few fake plants on the floor and ceiling etc so it doesnt look all that big to him would be nice for him to have more of an area to explore and be happy in. any ideas welcome!

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  16:30:36  Show Profile
It would still be too big for him, I would wait until he was at least 2ft long.

Go to Top of Page

evekioul
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  16:52:47  Show Profile
would a 24" be more suitable then or is that still to big? the measurents are: 587mm x 470mm x 525mm (LxDxH) basically i need a new one because this one really isnt suitable at all and i think thats the smallest they go really.

when hes full grown i have a toy box thats about 60" so will use that eventually.
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  17:04:58  Show Profile
Yeah a 2ft viv would be ok. It would still be a bit roomy but just pack it full of things.

Go to Top of Page

evekioul
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  17:07:47  Show Profile
cool will do! thanks for the advice! cant wait til he is big enough for a massive viv tho lol. he was quite shy for a long time and i wondered if it was to do with his viv but i think he had some damaged skin on his eyes and couldnt really see properly but since his shed his eyes have cleared up and now he loves it when i come home. played hide and seek with him yesterday and when he cant see me he comes all the way out of his hide to try and find me lol.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  17:53:11  Show Profile
matty is right. a 36' viv would be way to big at the moment.

you could always buy the big viv and partition up to make it smaller then keep making it bigger as he grows.

If his eyes looked like they had damaged skin he could have had retained eye caps from his shed. wen he sheds next try checking the head of the shed to make sure the eye caps are there and not still attached.

Edited by - dazb on 21/01/2009 17:53:30
Go to Top of Page

evekioul
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  18:45:36  Show Profile
i think i will go for the 24" viv then as i do have a bigger viv here for when hes ready. so yeah thanks for your help guys.

no he got caught up in some duct tape which had become loose on the side of the viv. it was holding my thermostat cable to the side and had come off because of the humidity and i found him in the middle of the night with his head caught so i eventually got it off and it had damaged his eye caps but hes just shed them now and theyre fine so at least i know they have come off this time lol. and i know not use duct tape again :( poor thing.
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  19:02:52  Show Profile
wow lucky escape...

my corn got tangled up in masking tape once inside of his viv...wont be making that mistake again...

Go to Top of Page

evekioul
Snake Mite

37 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  23:10:11  Show Profile
yeah i know its horrible to try and take it off. felt well sorry for him! it was lucky because i was asleep and i just heard a feint noise and thought id check on him and when i saw i nearly had a heart attack. he was quite shy for a while afterwards but i think hes forgotten about it now lol.

how did yours cope afterwards? did the tape come off easily or not?
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2009 :  15:18:13  Show Profile
tape came of relatively easy as its not very sticky and he was great at keeping still while i did it, i dont think it even had a effect on him...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000