Help please!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

EmmaGordon7
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  12:38:21  Show Profile  Click to see EmmaGordon7's MSN Messenger address
Hello, some advise would be appreciated please?

I have been feeding Monty in his viv since I got him but I have read that I should take him out and put him in another tub to feed him? It also says to not handle him after feeding him - this may be a really silly question but how do I get him back in his viv after he has eaten!!??

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  12:49:16  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
There is no should, some people feed out of the viv to make sure no substrate is ingested accidentally, I don't.

If you choose to then you can handle them carefully to move them back in, just do it carefully with as little movement as possible.

Go to Top of Page

EmmaGordon7
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  12:56:44  Show Profile  Click to see EmmaGordon7's MSN Messenger address
Oh ok - I did think that but seem to have read it in so many places that I was getting worried!!

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  15:10:32  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
I feed all of my reps in their vivs. As long as they are on a suitable substrate it shouldn't be a problem.

I feed my fish in their tank too .

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  16:52:19  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

I feed all of my reps in their vivs. As long as they are on a suitable substrate it shouldn't be a problem.

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  18:49:49  Show Profile
i feed both my royals in their vivs cos they wont feed outside. when i put them in a RUB spend all their time exploring the new surroundings.

the reasons people say dont feed in the vivs usually because of the chance of ingesting substrate and causing impaction and so they dont start associating your hand with feeding time.

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  19:52:53  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
i feed the corns in tubs outside their vivs, for the substrate ingestion and confusing hands with food issues. the royal i feed in his viv as he's unlikely to take food outside his own happy space and the same for the Dumerils boa. the royal is on orchid bark which is quite large lumps, they don't stick to food items like beech chippings or aspen can, so is unlikely to be ingested. and the boa is on paper.

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

I-M
Hatchling

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  20:54:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

We feed our Royal out of the viv, but I have never tried the same with our fish!!!

We try to let him slither back into the viv on his own, now that he is getting a bit bigger. Though, at the moment, he has stopped eating...

Aka "The Old Bat"
Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  22:52:07  Show Profile
I fed in the viv to, when and if the substrate gets stuck on the rat (which it shouldnt unless wet) then when the food item is sliding into the mouth, the snakes lips slide the substrate off, as its quite a tight fit, anything loose seems to slide off. Obviously this wont ALWAYS be the case...but its the most logical
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  23:32:48  Show Profile
I feed out of the viv because I use the time to clean the space and check out all probes/etc. During non-feeding days when the snakes are out, I don't want to have to be the one stuck cleaning the vivs while everyone else gets all the fun! We don't particularly like watching them eat, so we're all fine with getting cleaning assignments then!

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Hatchling

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  00:24:30  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message
i feed out the viv cos i dont wanna get struck by my big boy

Go to Top of Page

Mulv
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
530 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  05:32:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

i feed the corns in tubs outside their vivs, for the substrate ingestion and confusing hands with food issues. the royal i feed in his viv as he's unlikely to take food outside his own happy space and the same for the Dumerils boa.

Second that. Corn gets fed in a washing up bowl because he's hardier when it comes to eating but my Royal is on newspaper at the moment anyway so I feed him inside his faun.

If you do feed outside, when you put them back in just keep it as short as possible and try not to grip or pick him up where the lump in his belly is.
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  06:42:41  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
I would say you're much more likely to get struck handling a snake that's in feeding mode when transferring it to and from a feeding tub.

Go to Top of Page

blundey
Hatchling

86 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  09:08:11  Show Profile
Agree there ^. I got Indy's hide up yesterday, and i guess he was hnigry and in feeding mode as he hissed and went to strike mode. So i just offered food and then BAM. Screw putting my hands in to move him in that state!
Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  16:24:46  Show Profile
I feed out of the viv because of the risk of impaction, and I dont want any rat smell in the viv that could start the royals feeding mentality. Also it means I can change the water while its eating, as they like to drink alot after.

As for feeding outside the viv to stop the snake thinking its being fed when you put your hand in, its something to think about, but I dont really agree. You could equaly argue that the snake could think its being fed each time its removed from the viv (however the movemnt out of the viv could be "interesting" enough to them to stop them from thinking about food).

Edited by - matty18714 on 28/01/2009 18:37:14
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  17:00:02  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

I feed in the viv because of the risk of impaction

eh?

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  17:20:23  Show Profile
im confused matty...you going for in or out the viv as the best choice???

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  18:39:15  Show Profile
Im for feeding outside of the viv, I just like to keep you and BE on your toes (typo on my part)

Im for feeding out of the viv, but not because of the association issue, just because of what I said in the first half of my last post. (edited correction in my last post)

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  20:23:49  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

I would say you're much more likely to get struck handling a snake that's in feeding mode when transferring it to and from a feeding tub.

very true. but with the corns i leave them a good 10 mins after they've finished feeding, giving them a chance to settle down and feel full. i've established this routine with all the snakes i feed outside their vivs and it works for me

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos

Edited by - Gingerpony on 28/01/2009 20:24:11
Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  20:39:59  Show Profile
mine are becoming increasingly more difficult to feed outside them viv in RUBs.

they are just more interested in exploring. Think it maybe also be to do having a municiple feeding RUB...

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  22:09:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Gingerpony

with the corns i leave them a good 10 mins after they've finished feeding, giving them a chance to settle down and feel full. i've established this routine with all the snakes i feed outside their vivs and it works for me

I tried this a while back and I cant get it to work, I have yet to free handle my corn back to her viv after feeding (The viv and the rub are about 3 feet away). I dont really fancy a tagging, and if I jump, I could hurt her little teeth.

Coat hangers all the way!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000