New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  16:39:39  Show Profile
Have not had a power cut for years and years and only after a week after getting Grace, guess what happened. Yes, arrived home this morning and no electricity in street.

Not sure how long power had been off, but I dont think it was too long as the temps in the viv looked ok. Not perfect but just below norm.

First thing I did was to throw thick blankets over the viv to keep the heat in. Luckily the power came back on after about 15 mins.

I think I should invest in a couple of those emergancy`hand warmers`.

If I ever had to use them, would it be a case of treating them like a heat mat and covering them with substrate or would they still be too warm ?

Any emergancy tips please just in case.

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  17:14:29  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
A hot water bottle with 'luke-warm' water would probably be better as you can choose the temp then.

Go to Top of Page

Colin S
Yearling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  17:19:08  Show Profile
Thanks, that sounds good as long as there is still hot water in the tap. At least I have a gas hob :-)

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  19:45:51  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
we've had 4 power cuts in 4 weeks, off for a few hours at a time. the annoying thing is that everyone around us still has their lights on and are sat watching telly! we're supplied by a really old substation that only supplies us and 4-5 houses along the street. apparently the engineer is 'concerned about the number of call-outs he's having' so they're getting a senior engineer in.................... what that means i don't know!
i only have one hot water bottle so Marilyn has that, the rest have just had to bear with me till the power comes on again. not an ideal solution, i think i need to bulk-buy a load of hot water bottles!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  20:05:36  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hot-Water-Bottle-Pink-Rubber-2-Litre-NEW_W0QQitemZ370156402399QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HG_HotWaterBottles_RL?hash=item370156402399&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318

£3.45 delivered.

Edited by - Blackecho on 08/02/2009 20:09:01
Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  22:53:55  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
coool, piiink!
i never knew ebay had a specific hot water bottle section!

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Fully Grown Royal

1971 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2009 :  09:43:24  Show Profile
we had a power cut this morning for 40 mins, i didnt even notice til i got up! can anyone tell me how low the temp would have to go, and for how long, before it would damage a royal python, and geckos? i know it wouldnt bother the tarantulas at all, but need to know for the future so i can prepare....
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2009 :  11:33:36  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
Get to Poundshop GP- they always have them on in there.

Plus a few hours wouldn't make much of a difference. Snakes just chill out when it gets cold

Although I would try and keep the royal and the Rainbow boa warm, just because they'd go off food if their routine was broken The corns and kings would be fine though as long as it was less than 3-4 hours.

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2009 :  11:54:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Corns survive in the wild for months, but Royals I would be worried about RI's/feednig etc if more than a few hours.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000