handling
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rmnnurse
Snake Mite

8 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  22:49:32  Show Profile
Hi. I bought my first python a week agao. has already eaten last wensday with no problems. I did feed her out of the viv but told by a friend whomn has had pythons for yrs not to do this and just use tongues and place it in the viv. Anyway the main question i have is how often does a royal need handling ona typical week. Friend says they like humon contact and need handling and then when iv read up i have read that handling too much can cause them too much stress. Can anyone shed any light on this please. Much appreciated on replies. Debs

Dazzetski
Yearling

United Kingdom
461 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  06:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Dazzetski's Homepage  Click to see Dazzetski's MSN Messenger address
I'm head over heels in love with sssssofia & have been handling her on a daily basis, but now she's not eating, so this is probably too much. On a couple of posts on here the recommendation is 2-3 times a week.

0.2.0 Cats (Spud & Phoebe) RIP Stevie fat man
1.1.0 Royals (Syd & Sofia)
2.2.3 Corns (Hogan, Shaggy, Sparkle, Tango, Fred, Haribo & Go Faster)
0.0.1 Columbian Rainbow Boa (Escobar)
1.1.0 Variable King Snakes (Lancelot & Guinaverre)
0.0.20 Fish
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  06:07:42  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
A Royal doesn't need handling at all, the handling is for our benefit really. As Dazzetski says I would not handle more than twice personally, 3 times as a max.

Go to Top of Page

osouthlondon
Hatchling

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  08:18:14  Show Profile
Its also (In my admittedly limited experience) to do with how confidently you handle them, when I first got my Royal I was nervous as anything, and that translated through to the snake. Now, i'm quite comfortable handling him and he's a lot more relaxed. I've limited handling, as above, to 2-3 times a week, and always leave him well alone for 2 days after feeding, and i've never had a problem with feeding or obvious stress.
Go to Top of Page

AddicksGlenn
Yearling

United Kingdom
388 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  16:25:12  Show Profile  Click to see AddicksGlenn's MSN Messenger address
I also handle mine 2 or 3 times a week. I don't handle 48 hours before or after a feed. It seems to work quite well.
All i need to do now is get another baby, feed that one on a different day so as i can have fun every day. :-)

Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  06:31:52  Show Profile
I have 2 kids ages 5 and 7. I have 3 royals and a western hognose. 3 of the snakes would be handled by my kids at least 15 minutes every day except 2 days after feeding day. They like to do their homework, play video games, watch TV with a snake inside their shirt! Crazy huh? The other royal is a finicky sort. She's very head shy and would go off-feed at times. So, the kids would look in on her and if she looks like she's game, they take her out, otherwise, they leave her alone.

So, I guess, in my case, the snakes get handled depending on their mood...

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Fully Grown Royal

Azerbaijan
1550 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  19:27:38  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address
I do tend to do it the same way as Anatess. If he's wants to come out then he comes out. Oddly enough it works out to be about 2 to 3 times a week .

Go to Top of Page

dazb
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2847 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  19:46:04  Show Profile
i very rarely handle my snakes. I would prob say once a week if that...

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
1196 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  19:49:19  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage
I only handle the royal once a week, the others get out more often, but they seem to like it more than she does.

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2016 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2009 :  20:10:48  Show Profile
I havent been hamdling alot recently either, although my royal seems to tolerate it better than my corn.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000