Measuring
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ben
Hatchling

57 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  12:40:18  Show Profile
Hi, new here, bought my Royal last thursday and wanted to weigh and measure him/her, dont know the sex yet. well weighin was no problem (110g) but when it came to measuring the lenght well, i tried to use a piece of string, but i just couldnt get him/her to uncurl and go kind of straight, can u please tell me how you measure your snakes?

Ben

cumbrian eejit
Yearling

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  13:35:33  Show Profile  Click to see cumbrian eejit's MSN Messenger address
I find that the easiest way to measure my royals is to wait till they have shed, and all being well and it is whole in length, then you can measure the skin - 10% for stretching. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

lee2308
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2597 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  13:42:36  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address
You could try putting it on thee floor by the skirting and they usaly straighten out

Members map-------Want to be on the map?

Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  14:13:23  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
Also, to add another complication, Royals are very good at concertining, meaning that they can be long and thin or short and fat so you may not know whether you have their true length.

I'm with Scott in maesuring a shed and removing 10% for stretching.

Go to Top of Page

wolfspirit
Old Royal - I Post too much!

United Kingdom
5741 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  15:52:19  Show Profile
Thanks for that BE, that makes my little boy 21 inches...you guys are priceless..lol..when i first measured his shed it was 23 inches, and he was 20 inches or there abouts when i got him, and i could not figure out how he had grown so quick......now i know

"No one can go back and make a brand new start. Anyone can start from
now and make a brand new ending."
-- Source Unknown

Go to Top of Page

Gingerpony
Royal Python Moderator

United Kingdom
2663 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2009 :  20:36:34  Show Profile  Click to see Gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
btw, if you only got your snake last Thursday it's best to give it a week undisturbed to settle in otherwise you could create feeding issues

Dumerils boas, BCO hybrids, Sinder Hypo boas, cornsnakes, ratsnakes, Day Geckos
Go to Top of Page

anatess
Sub Adult

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  06:28:11  Show Profile
Is anybody here savvy with search engines? Coz there's a software out there (I believe it is free) where you take a picture of your snake next to something that you can accurately measure (like a magazine or printer paper or something). You upload this picture and mark two points in the magazine and provide its measurement then you mark each curve in the snake and it will tell you how long your snake is. I can't remember what the name of that software is and I don't have much time right now to go hunting for it...

Snake owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
0.1.0 pastel royal
1.0.0 spider royal
0.1.0 albino royal
1.0.0 bumblebee royal
1.0.0 yellowbelly royal
0.0.1 wild-type royal
1.0.0 normal western hognose
Go to Top of Page

Blackecho
Royal Python Admin

United Kingdom
11327 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2009 :  06:39:28  Show Profile  Click to see Blackecho's MSN Messenger address  Send Blackecho a Yahoo! Message
http://iansvivarium.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=2196&sid=dbc5740fe58766d4a40fc2cadb14256d

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Royal Python Forum © THEROYALPYTHON.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000